Pan Frying Fish!!

Actually maybe " Pan searing or seared Salmon" would be better!! All the way around.

Sautéing can be hot or not so hot. The distinction is that you are moving the ingredients around. A “sweat” is a type of sautée and that’s not particularly hot.

Sautée is not stationary, sear is. With a sautée, you are doing frequent pan flips or stirring the ingredients. The goal of a pan sear is to move it as little as possible (never if you can avoid sticking) before the flip.

In and of itself, pan searing isn’t a cooking method, but a step to various methods of cooking, such as sauteing or braising. Searing is the act of using high heat to form caramelization on the surface of a food, but cooking in a frying/saute pan with limited fats is, by definition, sauteing.

Now that we all agree on the definitions… [pillow-fight.gif]

fwiw Sautéing - Wikipedia

I think the definition of sauteeing included “high” or “relatively high” , quick cooking…all the way through, rather than just searing. At least all the definitions I’ve found on a search. It does involve moving the food around…ie, making it “jump” in whatever fat is used. Quick seems to be an essential element of sauteing.

Here we go another angle!!

Pan seared oven roasted ( finished to final temp )!! Now what the heck is " roasted " [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Those two dishes were actually finished in a 400 degree oven to 125F . [drinkers.gif]

Perfect!! or here:

Cheers Robert!!

Getting Better at this:

Start in a cold pan with EVOO flesh side down, sear , till opaquing begins, turn and finish to 105 F.

Ditch the sauce, btw

Almond Crusted Salmon, Mushroom turnip Mash ( killer w/ cheese ), sous vide baby glazed Carrots

Served 07 Calera de VILLIERS-- Yummy

Paul doesn’t the oil soak into the crust when you start with a cold pan? Then only food I start in a cold pan is skin side down duck breast.

Mel,

Actually Not really ( nothing to soak into )… because of the flour / egg wash / nut crust… I think I would like this better if this was clarified butter or a combo.

The flour and egg mixture creates the crust and just holds the nut coating!!

Ever start an egg in a cold pan?

Nope, no eggs in cold pans. Fried eggs and omletes hit the pan as the water in the butter bubbles off and before the fat starts to change color. Scrambeled eggs start and finnish in a medium low pan or in a bowl over a Pan of simmering water.

Egg from a cold/cool pan… depending on the fat

Creates a solid white set!! Very consistent with no blistering or browning!!

Looks like you’re “pan frying” that egg in a bath of oil? [whistle.gif]

works better in bacon fat

LOL it does, doesn’t it?

Had totally forgotton about cooking eggs in oil…

When I worked in a food photography studio and we would do a shoot for Denny’s the food stylist would cook the sunny side up eggs in about an inch of corn oil and I’d bet she started them cold
They looked PREFECT. Solid white, clear orange/yellow yoke no browning and they would look good for hours if kept oiled. I think I’m going to have a go at that soon

I remember being shocked/surprised to read that when Frank Sinatra stayed locally (in the Philadelphia area) he insisted on having his eggs fried in olive oil. I’ve been doing that since I read that, though my family thinks it’s silly.

I don’t care how it happens, burnt nuts suck.

[wow.gif]