Pairing with Rayas?

Pieds et paquets is a dish mostly thought to be Marseillais but was a famous dish at the Hiély restaurant in Avignon. It used to use cow’s feet, hence the name, but now uses tripe to wrap of a vegetable mix. It is really quite delicious if you are willing to adventure beyond meat and potatoes.

Historically calves’ feet, but today mostly sheep’s feet! At least in the countryside. When made with sheep, it can be rather pungent, and I remember ordering it, a little over-ambitiously, during a hungover lunch at La Beaugravière where only a 1994 Fonsalette Syrah was capable of standing up to the flavors’ authority.

grande-boucherie-charrel-aubagne-pieds-et-paquets-marseillaise-720x545.jpg
Here is a good photo of the pieds paquets :slight_smile: The paquets (packages) being sheep tripe…

As to the pairing, a classic with a Chateauneuf is good ol wabbit…go with a lapin aux pruneaux.

1 Like

Ok that sounds disgusting, but I do like the rabbit suggestion!

I love rabbit and, when I’m there, perforce, I have CdP with it, but it’s not the ideal combination. Despite the fact that it’s technically game, I suppose, it’s classified as fowl there and it is more delicately flavored, like chicken rather than duck. Like chicken, of course, it’s tremendously adaptable and dishes that dress it up with mushrooms and other flavors would work.