over $100 wine tasting night with interetsing results

I’m not convinced from my experience at least with the red wine labeled Shiraz. 2BC Shiraz tasted against other cheap Shiraz blind placed fairly well. It had a wet dog smell, was light and slightly sweet. But the competitors were hot, over-extracted and syrupy.

I think tasting 2BC blind eliminates much of the bias where you expect it to be vomit inducing. Instead it turns out to be merely terrible, but also somewhat innocuous.

I remember reading an article about price to quality recently where a bunch of subjects were given $100+ wine and $10 wine blind (same varietal, etc) and they all preferred the $10 wine.

However, the article went on to say that the subjects all had very little to no experience with wine. I’ve found with many of the dinners / parties / etc that we host, the people with very little wine experience like the simple fruity stuff and don’t have the experience or knowledge to appreciate the finer complexities and nuances of a fine wine.

Does that make me a wine snob? I hope so… [berserker.gif]

Jeez, I put a 2003 2 buck Chuck Cabernet into a tasting that included a 2001 Sterling Vineyards and a 2004 Joseph Phelps (just stock Napa Reserve). Of ten tasters, not one preferred either the Sterling or the Phelps! Granted, 2003 was the only good vintage of Chuck, but still this was against $50 competition!

This was the result of Robin Goldstein’s The Wine Trials. Experienced tasters preferred the more expensive wines, but average drinkers liked the cheaper ones. It’s not all that surprising. Tannins, acidity and all sorts of weird aromas are an acquired taste.

When I do blind tastings, I use a similar format. Usually I have a couple cheapies, a couple mid-range, and a couple expensive. Most of the time the cheap wines are fairly obvious, probably get scored lowest 80-90% of the time, and they never win. The difference between say $40 and $80 can be a little tougher. But after several tastings in this fashion, it usually comes out about 60/40 in favor of the $80.

To sum it up… one sample testing can have odd results, but they tend to fall how they should after several tastings.