Oregon Visit Day 3 Brief TNs & Pics: Chehalem + Ribbon Ridge (J. Christopher, PGC, Brick House)

TASTING AT J. CHRISTOPHER - Chehalem Mountain (10/8/2016)

Cool tasting in the cave and winery.

• 2014 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Dundee Hills Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. Plush, round fruit matched with bright acids. Elegant and easy to enjoy young. This was very good for it’s level. (90 pts.)
  • 2014 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Nuages - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains
    Winery tasting. Darker toned with earth, meaty cherry fruit. Light-to-medium body with less concentration than most of the lineup. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Lumière - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    Winery tasting. Tight aromatically. Elegantly styled with bright acids. Round, sweet fruit is lighter bodied. Good spice. (90 pts.)
  • 2014 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Sandra Adele - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. Darker tones on the nose with earthy black cherry. Struck me as a bit four square with cherry and earth tones. Well balanced. Drinking well now. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Abbey Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. My favorite in the line-up. Vines are adjacent to Cameron. Full aromatic nose has black cherry, nutmeg and other spices, new leather and earth. Wow, the palate has serious intensity, depth and length. A more substantial and concentrated wine. Excellent structure that builds across the palate. Upside from here. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Lia’s Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains
    Winery tasting. Tighter nose with darker earthier tones. The palate shows quite well with sweeter red fruit that is round with good volume. Acids provide freshness. Silky finish. Needs time to integrate. Upside from here. (91 pts.)
  • 2015 J. Christopher Riesling - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. Full, lifted aromatics have peaches-all-day and minerals. Round and fleshy with bright acids. Well done, if a bit simple. (87 pts.)
  • 2014 J. Christopher Sauvignon Blanc Uber-Saugvignon Croft Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. Full, elegant, perfumed nose has some citrus, grass and orange peel. The palate is round, rich and concentrated with bright cutting acids. Impressive. The only sauv blanc I tasted on this Oregon trip. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 J. Christopher Pinot Noir Appassionata - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. Top cuvee. From Coravain. Nose certainly has concentration and depth with fruit that leans more earthy. Palate is intense with good stuffing. Nice but I’m not sure it’s worth 2x the other single vineyard wines. (92 pts.)

Jay was busy working in the winery but took time to answer our questions and chat throughout our tasting.

TASTING AT PATRICIA GREEN CELLARS - Chehalem Mountain (10/8/2016)

We had a casual and leisurely sit down tasting at PGC. Good insight into PGC’s wines and the Willamette Valley more broadly. Good quality across the board.

• 2015 Patricia Green Cellars Sauvignon Blanc - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. The nose is a bit shy and shows some heat. The palate is round with sweet fruit and bright cutting acidity. Tasty and easy to drink. (88 pts.)
  • 2013 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Bonshaw - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Full, gorgeous burg-like nose with earth, mushroom, merde, old leather and cherries. The palate is equally delicious with earthy fruit, tar notes and sandalwood spice. Good concentration and structure. One to lay down. Upside from here. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Marine Sedimentary Chehalem Mountains - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains
    Winery tasting. From 3 sites – Lias, Olenik and PGC Estate. The nose here is brooding with black cherry, herbs and pine notes. Palate is well framed with acidity. Black cherry, earth and herbs. Persistent with darker/earthy tones. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Volcanic - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. From three sites – Weber, Durant & Balcombe. Nose has brighter tones with red cherry. Forward, plush red fruit that is somewhat sweet and easygoing. Enjoyable, if a little simple. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Estate Old Vine Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Nose here is dense and concentrated, though brooding and non-delineated with black cherry and new leather. Palate is similarly larger scaled and closed in, though it offers loads of pepper and spice. Acids are bright. Suspect this is another wine that needs time. Plenty of upside. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Coury Clone Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. Perfumed layered nose of red cherry and herbs. The palate here is concentrated with smooth, almost creamy, cherry fruit. Acids provide lift and medium body despite the fruit concentration. Good pepper, spice and earth notes add layering. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Mysterious - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. From an undisclosed site (hence ‘Mysterious’) in the Dundee Hills AVA. Nose here is rich with jammier red fruit and shows quite youthfully exuberant. Palate is similarly forward and even jammy. Lots of cherry and spice. Quite fun and enjoyable now. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Notorious - USA, Oregon, Yamhill County
    Winery tasting. Barrel selection of the top four barrels. 100% new wood. The color here is very intense ruby red to almost purple. The nose is full of intense aromas – black cherry, loads of herb and woodsy spice. Palate is similarly intense with silky, concentrated fruit and bright, lifting acidity. While it’s generous now, you can sense the wine is still compact with more to offer. Upside from here. (93 pts.)

TASTING AT BRICK HOUSE - Ribbon Ridge (10/8/2016)

A last minute add to our itinerary and I’m really pleased we were able to get in for a tasting. We tasted casually out on the deck overlooking the estate’s Ribbon Ridge vineyards. Steve and Doug were great hosts and guides through the estate vineyards and winery. An idyllic setting on a Fall Saturday afternoon.

• 2014 Brick House Chardonnay Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. The base Chardonnay. Lifted bright nose is mineral-driven with crisp green apple. Palate has medium body with round apple/pear fruit, minerality and acidic tension. A classically styled and well balanced Chardonnay. (89 pts.)
  • 2013 Brick House Chardonnay Cascadia - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. The nose shows some reduction with rich baked apples in the background. Nice medium-to-full body with real white fruit stuffing and citrus / mineral accent. Well made with the bones to age a bit. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Brick House Gamay Noir Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. I’m not a Bojo / Gamay buff, so take this with a grain of salt. Nose is full with sweet, high toned red fruit, fresh cut herbs and bubble gum. Palate is forward and lush with acids that provide both juiciness and crunchiness. Seemingly well made, though admittedly not my cup of tea. (87 pts.)
  • 2014 Brick House Pinot Noir Select Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Entry level Pinot that is a barrel select from across the estate vineyards. The nose here is very bold and not only forward, but also layered – black cherry, earth, tar and herbs. The palate has very good concentration and intensity. An impressive ‘village’ level bottling. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Brick House Pinot Noir Cuvée du Tonnelier - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. From the oldest estate blocks. Palate shows delicious red and black cherry fruit with real elegance and acid structure. More closed in. I suspect this has a couple points of upside. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Brick House Pinot Noir Les Dijonnais Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Nose is full of earthy, loamy, red cherry fruit. Palate has terrific concentration and volume. It’s expansive and broad across the palate. Rich, focused finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2014 Brick House Pinot Noir Evelyn’s - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Best barrel selection. Nose has real concentration and intensity of pure, focused berry and herb. Palate is shows silky and lithe. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Brick House Pinot Noir Evelyn’s - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Wow, seriously concentrated and layered aromas with a distinct earth and mushroom tone. Palate shows very elegant right now with bright, focused earthy fruit. Seemingly needs a lot of time to develop and unfold, yet really enjoyable on pop n’ pour. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Chatting with Doug on the back deck.

Thanks, Rich. Hoping to visit J Christopher and Brickhouse next month.

Rich, sorry I did not get to meet you. As a Berserker you should always ask after me. I was around but I was dealing with a frustrating stuck fermentation that I am reviving and walking through the vineyard to decide if we should go through and pick the now ripe second crop. Anyway, if you are still around tomorrow I would be happy to show you around.

If you’re on this board and come to PGC don’t be shy about asking after me.

I should look at dates. This was from a week ago. Still, in the future folks should feel free to ask after me. There are many, many WB folks who have come through over the past couple of years especially and I always make time if I am around.

Sorry we missed you, Jim. You did help arrange the visit, which is much appreciated. I figured you were busy with post-harvest work. Will make a point to ask for you next time!

Rich…You really did a number on Oregon wine. You visited some of my favorite wine in this state. You didn’t miss much!

I appreciate the notes, I love reading other people’s perspective and notes that are so comprehensive. I hope you received a warm welcome from everyone.

Nice. Thanks for the write up.

J