Oregon Pinots - style guide

Penner Ash was seemingly going for size = glory for a while.

In terms of general style I think that Oregon pinot in general has a really rewarding style for drinking in many age ranges. In general a good Oregon producer (on your list my favorite is Eyrie, then probably Cristom or Chehalem, I wish you had Patricia Green available to you because theyā€™re my favorite coming out of Oregon!) does a good job balancing the earthiness that is loved in burgundy with a little bit more of the fruit character found in a new world wine.

I think the best way to describe them in general, I love old-world styled burgundian PN and my wife tends to like PN that is a little more fruit forward (california or NZ typically she enjoys). In Oregon wines, we are typically both very happy.

as others have mentioned, most of your list would benefit from some age, but I dont think youā€™d feel bad about it if you opened a bottle or two of them soon after arrival.

I would try and get Eyrie especially 2013 and older vintages. Their original vines Pinot Gris was SINGING last time I tasted it at a few months ago.

Iā€™m not a fan of Stoller, but to be fair Iā€™ve only had their entry dundee hills bottling.

I had the Original Vines PG for the first time a couple months ago and holy cow. what a fantastic bottle of wine.

Our wines are carried in Australia as of very recently.

Airoldi Fine Wine
39 Ardoyne Street
Black Rock Victoria 3193
Australia

They have thus far, I believe, picked up Balcombe Vineyard (30-ish year old Dundee Hill site, Estate Vineyard, Old Vine (older Ribbon Ridge site) and Freedom Hill Vineyard, Dijon 115 Clone (15-ish year vines from just south of the Eola-Amity AVA). Donā€™t know if you are near them (I realize Australia is huge) but maybe.

1 Like

I really donā€™t know anything (and many can attest to this fact). The Cristom and Eyrie are the nicest wines and neither will show tremendously well early. From a happy customer standpoint Iā€™d go Haden Fig and Elk Cove as they are interesting and approachable young.

Chehalem *
Cristom ***
Elk Cove **
The Eyrie Vineyards ***
Haden Fig **
Kingā€™s Ridge
Penner-Ash
Rex Hill
Stoller Family Estate *

A * is the same as a bicchierri, and I would rate myself ** for Biggio Hamina.

Not Toddā€¦but my experience says a cross between Mornington Peninsula and Tasmania. Some a bit more mainlandā€¦and some less.

RT

Mitch, the Mount Jeff Cuvee is fine for entry level. Weā€™re talking resto wine list.

I donā€™t follow what youā€™re saying my friend. Kentā€™s post is about being offered wines, presumably to cellar, and says nothing about a restaurant (I presume ā€œrestoā€ is short for ā€œrestaurantā€) wine list. Further, I have read Kentā€™s Burg TNā€™s (perhaps you have too) and I doubt he would find the Mt. Jefferson Cuveeā€™ very interesting. I agree that in the abstract they are pretty good for the tab charged. Besides, now that PG may be in the mix, itā€™s academic. The PG Estate Old Vines is a no-brainer. The Balcombe and Freedom Hill offer tons of flavor and complexity-I love them both- but may be a bit fruit-forward for Kent. I still think that the Cristom Eileen/Jessie and Eyrie would likely please Kent. Too bad Brickhouse is not on offer. Or J. Christopher. Or Vincent. Or Biggio-Hamina. But I will say it again-Cristom and Eyrie are among my top tier irrespective of availability so to hear that they are being offered when the pickins are generally slim is surprising. Whatā€™s on offer covers the spectrum from style and price range. Somebody smart picked the limited offerings.

I believe Cristom winemaker Steve Doerner spent time working at Dujac and takes inspiration in their wines. I really like Cristom. And Dujac.

Please read Post 13. We largely agree on labels heā€™s been offered and those he hasnā€™t been offered yet. Baby steps.

RT

So, what happened?

Todd, Advice has been great. Am going to order a few based on recommendations when next printing the list (next month or so). Greatly looking forward to trying them.

Superb, hope that they are well received.

Heā€™ll have them home by 11:00, and will respect them.

Is that acceptable, Dad?? [snort.gif]

Hi Kent,

While I am a massive fan of OR Pinot, I guess my question is: how much demand is there for them in Australia and what will the prices be looking like for you?

On a qualitative scale, I donā€™t think there is much difference between what youā€™ve posted vs what you can get from Yarra Valley/Central Otago/Mornington Peninsula and I donā€™t think any of those would be more affordable than some of the Pinots Iā€™ve had from Tasmania. The opposite works here as quality Kiwi Pinots donā€™t really sell all that well here vs OR Pinots and Cali Pinots since the same comparable quality can almost always be had at a similar price point or slightly lower.

Just my thoughts (though maybe adding in two pinots would probably work well as a change of pace from what else may be on your list) [cheers.gif]

Thatā€™s Mr. Dad to you now McIsaac.

Hi Keith,
Your point is well made but we have customers who are looking to try new and interesting things. the market is miniscule, but these wines will add breadth to the list. Yes they are expensive, but a lot of wine is these days.
As an example the following prices will apply (in AUD, where 1 AUD = .72 USD)
Cristom Jessie or Louise or Estate Pinot $200
Elk Cove Willamette PN $100
Eyrie Wliiamette PN $130
Haden Fig PN $90

Sound scary?

Kent

I just looked at Pinotnow.com.au website-they seem to import all the wines you have listed and are selling them at substantially lower prices. eg Eyrie at 79 and HF at 51,
Cristom est 103 and single vineyard at 123. So I would suggest buying direct from them.

Eyrie est is 37.50 at the winery and with 50% Oz import tax and currency diff. Pinotnow price of 79 is reasonable.

Thanks for all your help guys. I have been slack and my wines have just arrived.
Cracked a 2016 Cristom Mt Jefferson Pinot Noir last week - lovely restrained savoury nuances, hints of exotic spices (think cardamom, cinnamon), nicely integrated palate. A very nice start.

From my own tasting/consumption, I can recommend Cristom wines enough that I am in their wine club.
From my own tasting/consumption, I cannot recommend Chehalem and Penner-Ash. (YMMV)
I am okay with Stoller.
I have not tried the rest.