Oregon aging rule of thumb

Great Cuvee J’s indeed. Russ Raney is missed! '93…is unsung…as is McKinlay. I simply haven’t had enough '96s to make a definitive call but have enjoyed quite a few 99s. 99 ripeness compared to 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016?

RT

In 2019 we had 1979 Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir Hyland Vineyard next to a 1985 Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir Red Hills Vineyard. The 85 had a bit of a brett issue, but they were both still very much alive at 35 and 40 years old…

1 Like

Late to this thread, and agree with much that has been posted. Just want to highlight Marcus’s comment about closures which have only improved in quality over time. Also storage. I have unfortunately seen a few colleagues try to save a bit (of time, effort, and cost of off-site storage) with questionable on-site storage conditions which is really a shame. (If it’s a new producer to you, ask the wine maker or TR manager and make an assessment.)

99 falls between 2008 and 2010 in my opinion. Late bloom, and modest early temps were balanced by great late season weather. Plenty of hang time in a vintage where you needed it. And modest temps for the end of season so balance was excellent. Great vintage.

99 was a year that you wait to come around, then wait some more, and mainly fizzles. Mainly. Certainly a few good wines are out there. Do want to know how to keep a moron in suspense?

Posted this in it’s own thread, but thought I’d add it here too. The Herbfarm restaurant outside of Seattle has a lot of interesting things their cellar available on their web site. Particularly for aged wine from Oregon/Washington, including many mentioned in this thread, there a number of things you just don’t have the opportunity to find that often. They’re not being given away, but several things that I thought were very fairly priced, particularly when accounting for excellent provenance.

https://store.theherbfarm.com/

In 2010 I had an Eyrie Pinot and Chard from the 70’s, want to say 76. Both in fantastic shape.

Do you know if these are also their price on-list? I’m tempted to make the drive for our post-vaccine celebratory dinner, whenever that happens.

Hi Brady. I don’t know the answer. I’ve never been to the restaurant. Was slated to go there (and Canlis) on a trip to Seattle last May. Alas. Hope to in the future.

1 Like

Huh…not my experience. I enjoyed 99s quite a bit on release and mostly through the years.

But you are describing my opinions on 1998 pretty well.

Thanks for posting that…$2000 later my wine budget is blown, but there are some tremendous options on wines I don’t think you’ll see anywhere else.

Some wines are a bit pricey but there are some smoking deals too.

1993 Bethel Heights Southeast Block and Flat Block were monstrously good wines. For well stored bottles to be under $100 is a find.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that…$2000 later my wine budget is blown, but there are some tremendous options on wines I don’t think you’ll see anywhere else.

Some wines are a bit pricey but there are some smoking deals too.

1993 Bethel Heights Southeast Block and Flat Block were monstrously good wines. For well stored bottles to be under $100 is a find.

That $$ number sounds familiar! Grabbed some of those Bethel Heights myself. Had a few Evesham Wood cuvée J in the $70-100 range when I purchased too. Mid 2000s Matello in the $60-70 range also a noticeably good price. Add a case discount and there are some very good prices for what you’re getting.

I wish we had seen a few more of those old Evesham Wood Cuvvee J, we grabbed the 91 at just over $100.

We also hit the Brickhouse wines pretty hard, and I was really excited to get a few 2001s. It was an under rated vintage, but I haven’t had any in a few years and looking forward to seeing how the wines are holding up.

The 2005 Matello Whistling Ridge and Souris are both very good wines. The 2007, 2008, and 2012 are also a great deal, with plenty of life left to cellar longer but also both beginning to be available.

The 2012 Hommage is a steal, and a great example of my wines in 2012.

The 2004 and 2005 Hommage, are from younger vines but were quite vibrant last time I opened one.

Hi Marcus,

Never mind.

Please ignore, answered earlier in the thread.

When buying older OR pinots, are there certain vintages you’d focus on, and others you’d avoid? Or is it a wine-by-wine thing, with CellarTracker as a guide?

I should’ve not looked at that site. Haven’t pressed checkout…yet…

Did you spot the Fritz Haag Kabinetts?

I do now. I was just looking at the Oregon selection before. I’ll pass.

Just blew the “recreational” budget at Vinopolis last week. Justifying the OR wines as research, but not looking at Austria and Germany.

1 Like

Hi Brady,

For older:

Shot in the dark but very, very good vintages: 1989, 1990, 1991 (but note that the Adelsheim Elizabeth’s often had a fair amount of Brett back then)

Select producers and wines, but among the best older Oregon wines: 1993, 1994, 1996

Not my favorite but not over the hill at all: 1998 (short crop+hot vintage=Bigger, clunkier wines with a long life and maybe a good window to come)

Unlike Todd, I like 1999s quite a bit.

Undersung: 2000 and 2001. I haven’t had these in a while but 01s were fabulous around the 7-12 year mark.

2004 and 2005: small vintages, intense wines. I like 2005 more, but the best 2004s are very, very good. 2004 was not cellared much either, so this is a rare opportunity.

Hot: 1998, 2003, 2006, and 2009

Wet: 1995, 1997, 2007, 2013

And also, there was some 2005 Matello Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir earlier. That was the first vineyard designate bottling for me ever.

1 Like

Well, we do prefer different aspects to the grape.

98’s were fun on release and it seemed pointless to long haul them. 99 was heralded as a beautiful, age worthy vintage which, in my opinion, only underperformed given its accolades.

93, 10 and 17 are the shit, brother.

1 Like