Oranges

So I bought a few navel oranges from a couple of different stores. They were ok and won’t buy again unless necessary .

I have quit on the Sumos since they are really expensive and not worth it to me .

The Cara Cara oranges are the same price as the navel oranges , and are amazing !!!

Sumo Hunter: $2 a bag at Ralphs

1 Like

And I did buy some navels this winter that were really good .

Cracked open a sumo from today’s haul. No obvious flaws. Juicy and pleasant tasting with clean, refreshing acidity (89-90pts). Though some slices are clearly more complete, a touch less intensity and Sumo-ey character than the last batch from the same source a few weeks ago (93). Bag variation? Fortunately, I have 4 left to see if I should back up the truck. But, for $0.40 each, it’s solid QPR.

At Dorothy Lane Market Sumo’s are $5.00 each at Kroger $2.50 each I think DLM’s are bigger, but not necessarily tastier. I go to Kroger!

1 Like

Absolutely. I tend to have better experience with fruit and cheese than places like Whole Foods.

I’ve had a couple of Sumos so far this year. Plenty juicy, but not sweet . Borderline sour. Anyone else disappointed in this years crop so far ?

And they’ve had seeds !!

I got my golden honeybells from Hale this week. They are excellent this year.No connection other than satisfied customer.

Here in SoCal we are seeing increasing price and quality differentiation in the sumo market… seems to me that the distributors are grading the fruit that comes in into different categories and adjusting prices accordingly. Some stores are even carrying multiple grades at different price points. I haven’t heard anything about what in the industry is driving this

From my observations:

Top grade ($4-5/lb): large (nearly 1 lb), loose skin (rattles when you shake), rich orange skin color, large distinct topknot, strong sweet/sour taste and juicy

Mid grade ($2-3/lb): med/large size, clingy skin, some green spots on the outer skin at the bottom of the fruit, medium size topknot, strong sweet/sour taste but less juice (similar to pomelo)

Low grade (<$2/lb, bagged): medium size, clingy skin, orange skin, small/no topknot, lacking in flavor and juice

1 Like

Thanks .Last year I was buying them from Whole Foods. This year I have only bought 2, separate times, from a regional supermarket called Stop and Shop. Both times they were on sale at $2.99 lb., from $3.99 lb. I’m thinking they were on sale because they weren’t that good. Will try Whole Foods to see what they have and how much $$

variable. Just now getting sweeter but still good acidity. 2.99-3.99/lb. Love Sumo. Finally got my Sumo tree—last year but it will be years before I harvest. It’s a stick.

But look at the good news. In a few years, you be able to take some ugly but delicious oranges/tangerines and put them in a beautiful, homemade wood bowl .

I went today to Whole Foods for a couple of sumos and Cara caras. We’ll see how they are.

Edit. The sumo was so much better . Was on sale, plus discount as an Amazon Prime member. So paid low 3’s per pound vs regular price of upper 3’s per pound .

I had an Envy apple just last weekend for the first time. Not too shabby!

Cara Cara’s are the best juicing oranges evah!

Envy apples are great and my favorite type of apple alongside Granny Smith.

Cosmic Crisp is up there also.

1 Like

Great Sumos at Whole Foods these days -best of the season. Although technically they aren’t oranges .

My local (SoCal) TJs has had the mid and low grade consistently all winter and they are still coming in. We’ve been going through a dozen mid-grade a week at $2.29 apiece and I agree that quality has been consistently improving.

1 Like

And the ones we bought last week from TJs were good and the best this season- until this batch from WF. We always buy ones that are “heavy in the band” and one was over 1 lb.

1 Like