Opened 5 bottles of wine and none taste right

Fortunately not. It does sound like what you’re describing, though. I guess it’s not the cause.

I give you credit for persistence!
Agree with those saying it’s likely the zinc supplement.

My wife read that zinc helps the immune system and given whats going on right now we added to the daily supplemental’s. I wont be taking it again after yesterday.

The amarone kit wine test had the same result but not as dramatic.
Beer seemed fine. A cocktail was fine.

Its like the better the wine, the worse the taste. and its more dramatic with wine compared to other beverages. If you want to take a break from wine but lack the resolve, take zinc every day. The effect on my taste buds was so dramatically bad, I could not drink wine. Maybe the degree varies by person though.

Taste did start to bounce back this morning. Il Pogginone tasted very fine with breakfast (paired reasonably well with granola and yogurt, or maybe I was just so happy to have my taste back).

Maybe it was a root day?

Here’s what I’m confused about, though. It sounds like you started taking zinc the day AFTER you opened up a number of wines - or am I wrong on the timeline.

Diet in general can affect your taste buds and it’s good to note this. I also agree that there is no reason to pour any wine down the drain immediately unless it has high VA or is overtly oxidized. Show some patience and see what happens - worst case scenario is you toss it in a few days; best case is you have a wine that blossoms . . .

Cheers.

Yup. Zinc. Always for me. I’d rather be sick and enjoy my wine that ruin my palate with zinc.

Seems plausible and could be an important thing to be aware of as an early tell. Been a long time since I’ve had cold/flu that did a number on my taste buds but its happened.

It’s being widely reported people, no joke. All I do is communicate with docs overseas and watch webinars.

Larry, I took zinc Friday morning for the first time. Double dose. Opened the first bottle Friday afternoon.

Sounds great. I’m in.

same exact thing happened to me. I was doing the dissolving zinc lozenges for a few days early last week, opened two bottles during that time from lots where I had previously had great bottles and they both tasted horrible. Decided wine was more important than zinc so I stopped taking the zinc, waited just a day and now everything tastes good again. I’m 100% convinced it was the zinc. When you take those things, you can really detect a metallic sensation in your mouth for hours afterwards . . .

I searched this site and there was surprisingly little on the subject. I found one post where someone recommended zinc for Anosmia, which must be the wrong thing to take. I found my smell was off yesterday too.

I did find two threads you started on the subject though.

Interesting topic.
I’ve noticed that some wines taste a little off, most of the wines I’ve had recently were a bit astringent when I started taking a new multi vitamin. I always thought it was a palate change on my side, until I read this thread.

I looked at the label and it contains zinc citrate.
I’m wondering if 15 mg of zinc citrate daily is what is causing wines to taste weird to me.

as Glenn opined, loss of sense of taste and smell can be an early sign of a viral infection including Covid-19

Can you smell anything else? It could be the zinc or it could be you have temporarily lost your sense of smell, perhaps due to some type of virus. That happened to me a couple of years ago, when I lost my sense of smell due to a head cold/virus/etc. I could not smell or taste wine, however, I could sense the tannins and acid. It was so weird:) Don’t give up on your wines yet!!!

Welp, go get tested:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/health/coronavirus-symptoms-smell-taste.amp.html?fbclid=IwAR0mkNVkUkbp0psjIqx6NOhtrEi2FflO8U2NynRkGMk5A0OdHPcgiuhijNs

In case you need a subscription for that NYT story, here are the opening paragraphs:

A mother who was infected with the coronavirus couldn’t smell her baby’s full diaper. Cooks who can usually name every spice in a restaurant dish can’t smell curry or garlic, and food tastes bland. Others say they can’t pick up the sweet scent of shampoo or the foul odor of kitty litter.

Anosmia, the loss of sense of smell, and ageusia, an accompanying diminished sense of taste, have emerged as peculiar telltale signs of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, and possible markers of infection.

On Friday, British ear, nose and throat doctors, citing reports from colleagues around the world, called on adults who lose their senses of smell to isolate themselves for seven days, even if they have no other symptoms, to slow the disease’s spread. The published data is limited, but doctors are concerned enough to raise warnings.

And a thread here on it . . . VIRUS-SMELL LOSS? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers