Open technique BBQ competition

Congratulations!

Pics next time please.

Purrrrrty!! :slight_smile:

Damn! Why do I want ribs for breakfast?

Great job on your first competition Kenny [cheers.gif]

I’m just seeing this. Congrats Kenny. So as I understand it, you only submitted one rack of three? Was your fantastic second place just in ribs or overall? What about the pork shoulder (how prepped, how did it come out?).
One of these days, I am going to give it a try. That said, hoisting a BGE or any decent smoker into a van or truck and hauling it to a competition and getting it out/off the vehicle-that’s probably the most daunting aspect for me. You did all that alone (barring your two year old lending much muscle)?
Also, and I apologize for once again digressing, but I have an XL BGE and a Standard 270. The 270 is not designed to handle temps much above 300 so it imho is not the best for ribs. I feel that ribs come out best right at 275-300, so I would need to haul my BGE for the ribs and my 270 for the pork shoulder if those were the two meats. I have a buddy or two that would likely get involved with enough planning but I would still likely need to rent or borrow a pick-up.
I’ve shown up for two KCBS comps held at Mason-Dixon BBQ in middle Pennsylvania just to observe and buy some stuff-mostly lump coal from a local artisan lump coal producer-and what I noticed both times is that the teams are all red-eyed and haggard looking from being up all night, partying (assumed on my part), and the work. Frankly, didn’t look like most of the participants were really having that much fun.

Also, fwiw, I have come around to using commercial rubs and sauces. I can make a decent rub, but the competition oriented commercial rubs and sauces are a) better and b) less expensive. Last Sat I did ribs on the BGE and used this sauce for the first time. I cut it just a little with apple cider to thin it out very slightly. Based on the reaction of my wife and son and my own impression, it is the best I have ever tried.

http://lootnbootybbq.com/product/loot-n-booty-bbq-original-competition-bbq-sauce-1-gal/

Thanks buddy. There were 8 judges so I picked the best looking rack, knowing I only needed one, prior to mopping and did it with the standard sauce. I wasn’t clear entirely on the judging and setup and was hoping my theater of flame wok’ing ribs for other folks would score some points, along with my unusual flavors of carolina vinegar mustard, and home brewed habanero. It did not because that was later due to the weather. I was actually second overall as well which I found inexplicable. The wind was killing me that day and the pork shoulder was some special “prime unit” from Costco that I guess just means it was more marbled which visually it was. But the thing stalled on me twice. I have never seen that. So I ended up short temp at the end, and while cutting I thought it way too dry compared to what I normally do with a roasted or grilled shoulder. But the flavor was outstanding from the wood and rub with some nice burnt ends as I finished it while I was high heating the ribs. I cut and shredded through the whole cut and picked the pieces that looked best then plated those for judges, and I hit it with some jus so that must have done it. The prep was same rub as ribs, 225-250 ish smoke to 165 internal then foil tented set on a rack in a pan so it was out of juice and above pan level as Jay suggested. Then 300 for a bit with ribs while mopping them and drizzling some jus on the shoulder. Would have brought internal to 190 but had to cut it short at 180, foiled tight in double layer, placed in cooler, transported to competition. I live about 1 mile from these festivities so I was grilling at home since Suzy was working.

As I explained I did the grilling at home, but I do have a trailer and ramp so I could transport the BGE as needed. I should also mention I was using lump hardwood charcoal as the base and placing the apple and peach on top for smoke. In retrospect, the peach was a bit green so did produce a lot of smoke but too much of it created some bitter notes on the burnt portions so I would avoid doing that again. I did cut small chunks but would be more judicious next time.

I should also mention I was only competing against one professional team. The rest were local BBQ enthusiasts who regularly smoke.

My base rub is a mix I received from a local friend whom is a trained chef and experienced BBQ competitor who has a mix custom made by a local spice shop in many pound orders. I did add quite a bit to that as mentioned, but would consider his mix basically a commercial blend. The only reason I know how to improve on that is cooking experience and learning in my research that rubs are a mix of spices, savory, and herbs. Basically I added the savory and herbs.

Much like you noted, I thought the sauce needed a touch of cider to balance it out. World of difference that makes.