OOPS! Diner gets wrong wine £4500 le Pin

Who knows if this is real or not:

ok…this is starting to sound like a marketing setup from the get-go…

Would the restaurant really not tell the Patron? Even if I was going to give it to them, I’d at least want them to know what they were drinking so they could enjoy their good fortune if they we not aware.

One hates to be cynical but the Resto response is a little too good, too polished, especially the “chin up” msg to the server. On the other hand without knowing their list a rather over the top bottle for basic PR stunt, they’d get same mileage probably from a £1000 or £2000 bottle.
Im also quite impressed at a chain Resto carrying £4500 bottles.
In an earlier pre internet era we’d be more inclined to take such a story at face value.
Any way it has prompted me to pull an 02 P-L (closest I have to 01), o for a weekend visit to some friends, for a bit of fun. No Le Pin in my cellar … (insert adverb of choice).

They didn’t open the foil correctly.

Believable

In Memory of Bob Hudson & dinner with Le Pin 3 Liter. [cry.gif]

Nov 22, 2013, 8:40 AM
Dear Bob:

The evening was truly spectacular! Thank you so much. I am still reveling in the memory of the double magnums of 1983 Ch. Mouton Rothschild, 1991 Silver Oak Napa Valley, 1998 Ch. Le Pin and 1989 Gaja Barbaresco. Wow! And to start it off with a jeroboam of 1989 Louis Roederer Cristal. I thought for a moment that I died and had gone to heaven.

That’s quite a night.

YES, IT & HE WAS !
Thanks.

FYI Hawksmoor might be considered a chain restaurant but it’s not a big size operation. They are actually pretty well known for their steaks (sourced from the Ginger Pig by Tim Wilson) and it’s not cheap. So it’s not that surprising that they have pricey items on their list.

Alain

I wouldn’t really call Hawksmoor a ‘chain’ in the same way as something like Angus steakhouse which purely exists to trap tourists. It’s a much higher quality operation.

The owner is the son of Fiona Beckett who is a famous food and wine writer in the UK, which might explain the wine list.

FIFW!

Here’s their wine list:

(Don’t see the 2001 P-L though - maybe they’re out!)

I’ll take six of the Conseillante ‘89 over 1 btl of Le Pin any day of the week.