Ooni Discussion

I might have to coordinate a trip back to OC around that time frame :joy:

I assume you will be an expert by then and will teach me your ways o’ wise one. flirtysmile

Can someone recommend a pizza peel to gift with the Koda? It sounds like metal is recommended. Should it be perforated? Are the Ooni brand peels the way to go? Thanks!

This cracks me up…been there done that. Big cooking mess…yelling for my wife like she can snap her fingers and it will all go away.

That’s pretty cool, didn’t realize they were making a pellet version. I think that would be a good balance between ease and flavor.

For those that have bought an Ooni, any thoughts on the difference between 12 and 16? Also, anyone who is not using gas, are the pellets/wood flavors noticeable in such a short cook? I currently use the BGE and my family likes the smokey flavor.

We have the original version (before the name change), which is similar in size to the current 12. We use a fairly high hydration dough and I find the size of pizza that fits in our Uuni to be about as large as I can manage to form a crust and to get off the peel. We would definitely have to do something different with our crust to utilize the size in a 16.

I do a 60 second bake (30-15-15) and definitely notice the wood flavor. In fact, if the oven is not hot enough when I start and the cook time gets stretched the smoke flavor can become overwhelming.

1 Like

I’ve got the 16” gas so probably add much other than I don’t think I’d want anything smaller. I don’t have the smoky flavor of wood. Might be nice but it’s not something I really crave in pizza. I do have a small pellet burning contraption I guess I could toss in there to see what happens.

I am thinking of grabbing one of these for our camper and for use during hot phoenix summers when we don’t want to fire up the wood fired oven. How is the portability? Doesn’t look that cumbersome.

My old original version is very portable - I pack it away after each use. I’ve seen that there are also fancy carrying bags for the new ones. The only factor to consider is that it takes some time to cool off before you could pack it up.

The Koda 16 isn’t exactly light. Ooni says 40lbs, but it is an awkward 40lb.
Mine is NG hardlined now, so I only move it up or down from the main surface to the shelf of the steel prep table I bought for it beside my grill. I put it away for the winter but I wouldn’t want to move it around much more than that.
Eric is right - it does take a while to cool off.

Mine is probably closer to 60 pounds with the steel inside. I’ve got it on a metal cart. I wheel it outside when necessary. I can’t imagine putting it in any type of bag.

Tim, sorry if I missed if you mentioned it previously, but why add the steel? The stone isn’t hot enough for you?

Exactly. The first pie will get a decent crust but subsequent pies do not. We usually do four or five in rapid succession. The difference in thermal mass is night and day.

Gotcha. I haven’t had a problem but I only do two in succession, eat, then do more if required. My only concern with subsequent pies is if there’s a bit of a spill or any excess flour/cornmeal and it burns on the stone and how clean I can get it with the brass brush, which I assume would be easier to quickly sweep out the steel vs. the stone.

Tim, where did you get the steel to match the size of the Ooni?

Inquiring minds…

First gathering with our local blind tasting group in 14 months at my place Sat.
The Ooni is getting a workout.

I bought it on eBay.

It’s a pain to clean because it’s large, awkward and heavy but I think it’s worth it.

It’s difficult to take a picture inside the Ooni but here goes. I didn’t clean it after last night’s cook. [wow.gif]

2 Likes

Cool, thanks.

Raised prices a bit ago, but now 20% off going on. Do I need this???..hmmmm…