Online retail using CellarTracker notes?

Uncool, and we see why people hate lawyers so much. Notes should not be taken from websites without attribution and/or payment. It’s equivalent to plagiarism in the academic world and copyright infringement in the business one.

This issue is near and dear to my heart. My wife is a professional photographer and has had photos lifted from here website for use on other sites. The “lifters” thought they could attribute the photo to her and no harm, no foul occured. She took them to small claims court and the judge sided with her and made the other party pay fair market value for the use of the photos.

Yep. It’s intellectual property. As shown in the above case, it’s easy for a professional to demonstrate the actual value of the actual work they sell. With CT, users put up notes with an understanding. While many of us would be happy to have our notes used, at least in some cases, by wineries and retailers in exchange for credit, that can’t be taken for granted. They must ask for permission.

Anyway, I think it would be funny to send a bill. Iirc, there was a forum discussion with the email exchanges put up of someone doing something like this many years ago.

What do you think, a case of the wine in question? Sounds fair to me. [cheers.gif]

Most folks who blog and provide published online write-ups often receive a complimentary bottle from the winery/producer. Is that intended to be FMV? Do these bloggers and writers agree to the use of their tasting comments, expressed or implied?

Looks I was right judging by the responses flowing my comment.

How so? A question was asked and answered. You seem to be judging that by your lack of interest in the topic. Do you feel the same about shoplifting? This same sort of attitude about intellectual property has crippled the music industry. How about that?

By that logic, if I look at a book in a book store or library, copy down the text, and publish it under my own name, I have not violated the law?

What the terms state is that the authors haven’t ceded their rights to their material. The authors agree to the terms when they choose the “public” option for their notes. So, it’s an affirmation. That a CT user appropriating someone else’s notes for their own gain is a violation of terms they agreed to is secondary. It’s a civil tort either way.

You’re so tough, Jay.

How so? A question was asked and answered. You seem to be judging that by your lack of interest in the topic. Do you feel the same about shoplifting? This same sort of attitude about intellectual property has crippled the music industry. How about that?

The entertainment industry is doing just fine, thank you, despite Chicken Little claims to the contrary.

Sorry guys, but those of you who have no training in the subject should stop posting lethal opinions about it because someone might believe you. Kinda like Trump tweeting. Most of you are failing to distinguish properly between Eric’s contract analysis, which is wrong, and my original question, which was simply whether a person who posts under a fake name is entitled to copyright protection. I did not know the answer and made that rather clear. The issues are completely different. My subsequent research indicates that something published under a pseudonym is entitled to copyright protection even if the copyright is not registered. The principal difference is how long the copyright lasts, but either way, we will all be dead before the copyright expires.

I said music industry, not entertainment industry. Sounds like you are intentionally deluding yourself with that diversion, and also have no idea what you’re talking about. Revenue to musicians as a whole is a fraction of what it used to be. The number of career musicians is a fraction of what it used to be. That stems from piracy.

Pretty damned harsh.

Yeah – I don’t think Eric claimed that it was a purely or even primarily contract issue. Stating terms could provide a contractual claim, but they also can be providing an explanation of the law that applies through other means – which I think might be the case here. There are I am sure better analogies, but a sign in a store that says you break it you lose it does not create an obligation to pay for a broken item just because of its posting – rather, it is articulating a legal principle that already applies. Eric’s terms, as I think others have noted, may also explain that he does not own the copyright, but he is informing users that others do and thus they cannot blah blah blah.