One of, if not the best Beaujolais I`ve had

2015 DOMAINE LOUIS-CLEMENT DAVID-BEAUPERE LA CROIX de la BOTTIERE JULIENAS BEAUJOLAIS- 100% Gamay; 15% abv.; perhaps THE BEST Beaujolais I`ve ever had!!! This heavily extracted wine with its deep, dark rich purple colour was truly amazing; the aromatics jumped out of the glass with fresh, ripe dark fruit prevailing; the taste profile had serious spicy and vanilla laden red and black cherry, cranberry and blackberry with just a touch of sweetness and a hit of talc in the background; it was medium to full bodied and had enough weight to provide for a great mouthfeel; the wine kept on unfolding as layers upon layers surfaced; one of my top wines of the year.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1686.jpeg

Nice notes, I have never seen this bottling but will have to watch out for it.

Sounds like Shiraz to me! [wink.gif]

p.s. not criticising the TN.

This is a great comment actually that I think speaks to what’s possible with Gamay in Beaujolais. In great years, with the right winemaker, the wines can be amazing. However, when that happens, it frequently gets attributed to being “un-Beaujolais like”. I think that’s because there is a lot of crap Beaujolais that’s made, especially at the Village level (don’t get me started on Beaujolais Nouveau), and these marginal wines are most people’s benchmark of what Beaujolais is. It’s really too bad, because doesn’t have to be some light-colored, acidic swill.

I’m not sure that’s true John.

My guess is that someone who uses Beaujolais Nouveau as a benchmark is likely to buy jug wine at supermarkets. But they wouldn’t necessarily call a wine “un-Beaujolais like”, and if they did, they’d be unlikely to criticize it for being riper and jammier. Anyone who knows Beaujolais better likely doesn’t use nouveau as a benchmark or buy jug wines at supermarkets.

A lot of times their vintages are ruined by rain, but those who harvest in time can have really good wines and did in vintages like 1991, 1996, 1999, 2002, and 2005, none of which were un-Beaujolais like.

I’m not even sure what’s wrong with noveau either - many regions make easy-drinking wines best consumed young, and sometimes those are exactly what one wants. They’re all over Spain and Italy and they’re mostly what I’ve been drinking this summer. Some from CA too.

I have to admit, I was not expecting anything like what this bottle had to give. It was so atypical of the limited number of Beaujolais I`ve had beyond Noveau.

Blake -

Super cool that this wine moved you in such a fashion. If you are not a regular Beaujolais drinker, I think 2015, like 2009, is perfect for you. They are warmer, richer years. I will say for me, your notes do not reflect a traditional producer in what we call a more classic year, say like 2014. Heavily extracted, vanilla, deep purple, is not an attribute of traditional Beaujolais by any stretch. The wine reads more like a heavy-hand in a ripe vintage, reads more like a California pinot that sees new oak. The best part is, however, you love it and it is cheap! That’s what makes Beaujolais so excellent.

Since you acknowledge limited experience beyond Noveau, I encourage you to try some 2015 from classic producers like Roilette or Thivin. Some on this board skipped 2015 as too ripe, preferring 2014, I actually found some gems in 2015, even though as a vintage whole, I preferred 2014. The Thivin is a great cross-over Beaujolais. I have served it to people that do not normally drink Beaujolais, but they liked it, while I liked it alot as well. It’s a sexier kind of traditional without going over the top. I think the alcohol breaks 14%, so it’s no wallflower either.

Thanks for the note. I have not heard of this producer.

Robert,

I appreciate your remarks and some direction offered. I`m obviously intrigued to explore a great deal more in this area.

Interestingly, a friend who receives my notes via email was motivated to open up a number of Beaujolais and 1 Italian Gamay last night for a few friends and I tasted through them and found almost every wine was different from the other. A couple had pepper and spice mindful of N. Rhone Syrah without the complexity and depth. Most were lighter weight and mildly fruity wines with a degree of softness and gentleness. We had vintages from 07 to 15.

I will be in the hunt for Roilette and Thivin and others. Many thanks

+1 on Roilette. Their Griffe du Marquis (2014) bottling is pretty mind blowing and bigger framed than the standard bottling.

Yeah, going to have to repeat it, but from the TN, what you had doesn’t really seem representative of a beaujolais. ‘heavy extracted’+15% alcohol+‘vanilla’ aren’t anything I’ve ever seen together in a beajo TN. Seems like the Paso Robles or Napa version of a beajo.

FWIW, here are some of the wines we drank:

2007 Domaine des Nugues Beaujolais-Villages

2014 Domaine Dupre Morgan Vignes de 1935

2015 Domaine Dupre Regnie Haute Ronze Vielles Vignes

2015 Domaine Pascal Aufranc Chenas en Remont

2007 Domaine Colette Regnie Selection Vielles Vignes