One dozen bottles plus a magnum of Champagne at $150 per bottle corkage for a special lunch at La Grenouille.

Even worse. Bad enough you lost the Rousseau, without the restaurant deciding to take advantage. Definitely not the way Danny Meyer would have played it.

The four bottle limit is stupid anyway; leads to clueless staff making bad decisions

Oh boy.

did they ring a bell behind the bar to note the occasion?

Which high end restaurants in NYC allow BYO for a high or unlimited number of bottles per table for any corkage fee? Last time I checked the highest bottle limit I could find was four (EMP). Most were either zero or max of two. I’m surprised Grenouille agreed to such a high number of bottles, even if we find the fee excessive.

A number of high end restaurants in NYC will waive the bottle limit if you are in a private room.

Stuart,
I think the response to your question has been a deafening silence. Personally I prefer not to broadcast the names of restaurants, but be assured, there is no shortage. And not one tried to cap number of bottles. In fact, more wines mean more corkage.