One Day For Wine Tasting in Los Olivos --- where do you go?

Now now . . . yep, I do like to talk, but heck, I’m no Joe Davis champagne.gif [snort.gif] neener [cheers.gif] [wow.gif]

Sarloos in Los Olivos offers cupcakes matched to their wines. It is a fun tasting and something different. Loring does a tasting with cookies.

Walk around and look lost? There are only a few blocks to this Disneyland-like village for winos. I think you could stumble into quite a few places if you didn’t try that hard. Just make sure they are open. I found only about a quarter to a third of them were actually open all at the same time.

Markus,

Los Olivos is not a bustling tourist area, and it remains quite quiet in the middle of the week. Many smaller tasting rooms are closed on Tuesdays ad Wednesdays like mine, but most are open by appointment - like mine if people let me know that they will be around!!!

Also, even though there are quite a few of them, most folks who come to town don’t stray too far off Grand Avenue, where the vast majority of them are. Therefore, we do not see the ‘throngs’ of folks that those on the main drag do - which is great for us, as we can give personalized service, and great for those who make it in (who don’t have to deal with crowds and those who just want to drink).

Next time, let me know you’ll be around please - just as one would if they were heading up to ‘real’ wine areas like Napa (said tongue in cheek) . . .

Cheers.

Bingo! That happens to be the day I was there.

Also, even though there are quite a few of them, most folks who come to town don’t stray too far off Grand Avenue, where the vast majority of them are. Therefore, we do not see the ‘throngs’ of folks that those on the main drag do - which is great for us, as we can give personalized service, and great for those who make it in (who don’t have to deal with crowds and those who just want to drink).

Definitely! Have to try this rose you make that everyone here keeps talking about!

[/quote] Definitely! Have to try this rose you make that everyone here keeps talking about! [/quote]

Second! At last summer’s Rhone Rangers in LA, Larry’s Rose’ was superb - along with Andrew Murray’s. Randall Grahm’s not so much [cheers.gif]

Definitely! Have to try this rose you make that everyone here keeps talking about! [/quote]

Second! At last summer’s Rhone Rangers in LA, Larry’s Rose’ was superb - along with Andrew Murray’s. Randall Grahm’s not so much [cheers.gif][/quote]

I will say that I’ve honestly never tasted anything like Randall’s rose that day. I had to keep putting my nose into it to make sure of what I was smelling - day old curry, sage, rosemary. It was a fascinating wine, and I’ll just leave it at that :slight_smile: :wink:

Was it the vin gris de tuile?

Samsara is good.
But I would highly recommend making an appointment at Harrison Clarke which is a short drive from Los Olivos. After being there for 20 years they recently sold their vineyard. Not sure if they are still seeing visitors but it would be a great experience.

Joel,

Samsara is very good - we’ll see how things move forward with Matt Brady, formerly at Jaffurs, as the winemaker. 2017 was his first vintage so we’ll have to see but I for one am excited to see what he can do ‘on his own’ so to speak. The new owners are really nice people and are committed to making the brand as good as possible.

Did not know about Harrison Clarke selling but they have been at it for quite some time. Did this come in a note to club members or? Would love more info about it. I have never been, but I understand the tastings at their property have been very well received - and Ballard Canyon is a beautiful spot indeed.

One more point - you can reach out to Michael Larner and see if you can taste at this vineyard. He is in the process of building his small production facility and tasting room on the vineyard and occasionally sees folks out there. And it’s not far from Los Olivos (15 minutes or so).

Cheers.

Many thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I’m sure this thread will help future Los Olivos visitors, as well. Of all the suggestions, Solminer looks most interesting — mostly because they have some unusual offerings — along with Samsara for their Pinots. With enough time, we may try another one or two, but I’m not sure the timing involved with driving up from L.A. and going to dinner will allow for many more visits than two or three. [cheers.gif]

Michael,

I realize I never responded - and yep, that’s the one. Really fascinating wine and Randall was so passionate about the way in which the wine was made, with a nod to Roussillon where he had seen the process in the first place.

The wine did stand out compared to all of the other roses poured, and as I said, I was utterly fascinated by it. Would it ever be confused for a Rose? Most likely not - but man o man, it should be killing it at every natural/organic wine bar these days . . . [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers!

The owners of Bien Nacido and Solomon Hills vineyards have opened a tasting room in Los Olivos for their Estate wines. Believe me, it’s worth a visit !!!

Yeah such an interesting wine indeed!

Larry,

Yes the notice came in my recent wine club shipment (the only club I have ever joined). It implied that it was a lot work to continue the vineyard and winery operations and wanted to scale back. They will be opening a winery in the Lompoc wine ghetto. I am sure they will continue making great wine and will now have more vineyards to source from. I am actually in SB right now and could stop by your place on Wednesday if you are available. We were in Los Olivos today and as you said it is much quieter during the week compared to the zoo on the weekends.

Regards,

Joel

You we’re in town today? I wish I would have known because I was in my Tasting Room. Thanks for the update and all of the information. I truly appreciate it.