Once & Future - January 17th Release

Your logic has no place here Brian, not when there’s WIIINNNEEE :slight_smile:

Order placed

4 BR Vineyard Zins
6 Teldeschi Zins (+ some wish list)
2 Palisades Petit Sirah
2 Mataro

A very simple process indeed [cheers.gif]
Hopefully Mother Nature will let me get my hands on them before Hell freezes over.

It’s very simple
IMG_5400.JPG

Ahhhh! That’s how it works! The whole Internet thing is just so overwhelming. Thanks Brian!

All smart ass comments aside, never got the email
But was able to reset my password and order. Good to go.

Thanks again for the helpful responses all!

Took 6 Teldeschi & 6 Palisades. Even case.

I took 3 Teldeschi, 3 Bedrock & 1 Oakley

Who’s been working with Teldeschi other than Ravenswood? Trying to get a sense of what its like.

Rich,
For some reason your info is in my account profile, not sure what is going on here.

Bedrock Lorenzo’s Heritage, Carlisle Dry Creek Valley Valley Zin (although the latter might have other vineyards mixed in.)

6 of the Mataro. I get nervous about 15% ABV Zinfandel.

Thanks Larry. To over simplify, it seems wines from this vineyard are less brambly and more subtle than those from Bedrock. Does that sounds generally correct?

Went short this time. 2 Bedrock, 2 Mataro, 2 Petite. Left alot on the table for others. trying to hold out for B. Day!

Hmm… for 6 bottles of zin it works out to be 46 a bottle.

I have been looking forward to this!

I grabbed 3 of each and will Pobega one of each upon arrival!

I don’t think I would have said it that way, but the only Bedrock Lorenzo’s I’ve opened were a 2008 that was corked, and 2009 which was a bacon-driven monster, 25-year wine easy. Generally I think Teldeschi: red fruit, dusty tannin, high-ish inclusion of Petite Sirah which gives some purple fruit and structure.

I never got the email either. Got the Save the Date email last week.

From the Email received this morning:

The Essentials:

For this second release, Once & Future wines will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Based on our debut release last April, the wines sell out very quickly as volumes are small. (The 2014 Bedrock Zin sold out in 48 hours!!)

The offering will remain open, assuming the wines do not sell out, until Tuesday January 31, 11:59PM Pacific time. If you do not get allocated as much as you would like, please use our wish-list request feature in the checkout process. The wines are in short supply but there may be some wine to redistribute.

There is $25 pro-rated Ground shipping on orders of 6 bottles or more. All orders will ship February 6th if Mother Nature cooperates. If not, we will hold the order until the weather is safe to ship. If you have any specific instructions, please put them in the Special Instructions section of your order or email info@onceandfuturewine.com
If you don’t have a password or need a password for your account, please use the “Reset Password” function on the login page.

The current release pick up day will be Sunday, February 19th from 12-5 at 19320 Orange Ave Sonoma, CA.”

From the Once and Future Email:

“Oakley Road Mataro

Contra Costa

Mataro is the name Mourvedre, the famous grape of Bandol, is known by in California. The Mataro grape has been planted in California since the 1870’s, mostly as an adjunct in blends were Zinfandel dominated. Though scarce, there are a few places where Mataro is an exceptional standalone grape. One of those places is Oakley. In the eastern rain shadow of Mount Diablo near the San Joaquin river, vines on the own roots planted to sand dune like soils in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s still produce some of the most interesting and highly regarded Mataro in California. The soils are so sandy that early growers in this region were disparaged as Sand-Lappers. Little did those wags know that the delta sands with their Phylloxera inhibiting properties would be the key to the survival of these amazing 100 plus year old, own rooted, unirrigated vines.

The micro climate of Oakley allows grapes to ripen early. It is not so much that it is hot during the growing months, the average temperature is about 74 degrees with the nights being in the mid 50’s and the days being in the 90’s during the month of July and August, it is that the sandy soils warm begins in the year than most other areas in California and vine growth starts sooner. As the season progresses the grapes continue to ripen consistently, in spite of the cooling maritime winds from the Carquinez straits, due to the reflected sun from the Antioch sandy soils. These are the kinds of conditions that are perfect for a slow ripening grape like Mataro.

The resulting wines can be, in a word, graceful. The smoky, soft cherry, plum flavors are well developed and full, the acid perfectly balanced and the tannins soft and round. The combination of own roots , old vines, deep sandy soils and cooling afternoon breezes seems to encourage gentle, suave wines. While some winemakers like to make big powerful dark wines from these grapes though I believe the wines are much more enjoyable, interesting, complex and finer when picked earlier.

These Oakley Road vines may not be around much longer. This part of Contra Costa (CoCo for short) is changing rapidly. It has been an industrial back water for a long time. High tension electrical lines, a PG&E power plant, motels that rent by the hour stand in contrast to an inordinate number of churches, and an increasing number of fast food restaurants populate a disjointed human landscape. There is increasing urbanization as roads are widened and BART pushes east. A number of these vineyards are for sale with inflated land prices having been designated as commercial land, land costs that are more compatible with strip malls than farming. For now, the vines remain in the ground producing viticultural treasure. For now, we continue to make lovely wine and cherish our moment.

2015 Oakley Road Mataro, Contra Costa County - $35

From the Once and Future Email

“Franks Block” / Teldeschi Vineyard
Dry Creek Valley

From the Here and Now, the early 1980’s seem like a long time ago!

I was a long-haired bearded young man who found himself having an unexpected luncheon with Frank and Caterina Teldeschi and their sons Dan and John…. Welcoming hosts, they represented the most recent two generations of an Italian family that had been farming their part of Dry Creek Valley since the early 1900’s. The lunch included copious amounts of wine (some made by me, some by Frank) and extraordinarily delicious food cooked by Caterina. I can still remember the menu; stuffed zucchini, homemade pasta with meat sauce made from tomatoes that Catarina grew in the back yard from seeds she brought with her from Italy as a young bride, roast chicken from her chicken yard, and a pork roast with potatoes from a wild pig Frank had caught rooting around the vineyard. To finish the meal, perfect biscotti and delicate rolled anise flavored cookies.

I don’t know whether it was the food, the wine, the people or the amicable mix of all the ingredients that created the magic, but at the end of that lunch, Frank and I had a handshake deal for 4 tons of grapes and as it turns out, a 36 plus year friendship with the family.

Over the years from that small beginning, the wine made from the Frank Teldeschi family grapes grew into one of Ravenswood’s most successful and most awarded single vineyard designated wines.

Located in the heart of Dry Creek Valley on the Eastside bench land, Teldeschi Vineyard is in the best location of a valley that might be one of the best spots for growing Zinfandel in the world. Of course, Frank Teldeschi had his favorite blocks of grapes on the ranch; one of them was a small somewhat mixed block planted in the cobbly Tuscan Red Hill Series soils that Frank claimed was the oldest block on the ranch - that would mean it was planted sometime around 1900. “Frank’s Block” is low production – around a ton and a half per acre – and includes Carignane and Alicante Bouchet in the mix.

When I started Once & Future, it seemed right to honor Frank and my long friendship with the Teldeschi family by making this favored old vineyard block into a stand-alone wine.

2015 Teldeschi “Frank’s Block” Zinfandel - $42"

Found it in my spam folder. Allocations were quite large for the low production. Left a lot for others. Grabbed 6 Mataro and a PS.