On the Lexicon of Traditionalism, Modernism, Post-Modernism and Perhaps Deconstructivism in the Characterization of Wine

Darth Robert’s conversion to the dark side is almost complete. Next post will be about how he has sold all his Sociando Mallet and his “green” Loire wines to buy more Ovid.

Oh, Howard, you missed the most obvious reference: metamorphoses not conversion.

Publius Ovidius Naso.

And no, there is no dark side. There is only light.

A side note, I am going to an Opus-sponsored dinner in two weeks. Where is Opus these days?

It has been a very long time since I had Opus.

I choked when I saw the bottle price, around $365. Wow.

Hopefully they don’t pull that cheesy sales move and drop an order form in front of you, at the table, with guests and friends. That Ovid trick cost me a lot of coin, lol. Peer pressure while tipsy is dangerous.

“Turning and turning in the widening gyre” ?!

Now I don’t know that I’ll be able to drink my bottle of 2015 T-M without seeing that image. Thank a lot.

Dude, post something now, like in ASAP. Your post count is 666. Neal will tell you that I consider that the mark of Rolland! [wow.gif]

29F0D8E2-F057-4F11-BF6B-0B2C899EF48F.jpeg
PS. Would you drink that out of the 1855? Scandalous. You have no shame.

strawman

I’m just a points chaser. There’s only one bottle in my cellar with a higher CT average score.

I hope you know that I’m kidding. And by the way, I got my Chris confused. Freemont sells the 1855s, you sell racking. Merger?

[cheers.gif]

I don’t know how to tell you this Robert. But you sir are the epitome of a meta-WBer … poor country squire and all! [highfive.gif]

I’m going to give this some thought, but I will say that I have always hated that AT&T abomination, and the Graves building(s ?) is/are almost as bad

“A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.

Think out of proportion, collosally-scaled buildings with over-adornment of decoration.

colossally

Fun post Robert. Has to be the best PWI ever!

I don’t know what to say about it except that some of those overdone buildings may not be so bad. The idea that there should be no ornamentation whatsoever can leave things pretty sterile. Much of the charm of the older ornamentation came from the fact that while it wasn’t necessary, it made things pretty for no other reason than simply to make them so. Those big egocentric sterile projections get boring really fast. Architecture is art that we live in, so make it inhabitable and fun.

Where do you fit “natural” wine?

I don’t know that you can fit the last forty years of wine into architectural terms, although I’ve heard that some wines exist in all dimensions and others are vertical in feel, so maybe that’s the thing -

wine + architecture = WTF!

If I could convince you the Troplong-Mondot would taste good if the bottle was stored in one of my racks and then poured into Grassl Glass …
would you come to my wine dinner?
Oh, I live in a house (black ranch) that was built in the 1950s in a semi-Craftsman style. Is there a space for that label in Bordeaux?

I live in a French Country home. Every day I walk through the front door and wish the big oak would fall on it.* The the classic irony is, my house is mid-century (built in 1952). Such a classic floor plan, open, reaching out to nature, and the folks that bought it before us, converted it into this “thing”. Well, my wife loves it, and I guess it is marketable.

There is a saying about architects not being able to afford their own creations. I guess that’s doubly-ironic, as I often say that I could not afford myself.

\

• There is an old anecdote about Frank Lloyd Wright visiting my alma mater, and was given a tour by the Provost. The Provost asked Mr. Wright which was his favorite building, and supposedly he quipped, “Century Tower, as I envision it falling on and crushing the Gothic cathedral.” Apparently he hated Gothic architecture. The cathedral was next to it.

Technically, it was PWHO.

Honestly, it’s pretty effing hilarious that Greg assumes you must have been drunk to post this - guessing he didn’t look at the time stamp lol.

Parker himself started it!

“The utterly perfect 2014 Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon has everything one could possibly want in a Cabernet. Inky purple-colored to the rim, with a glorious nose of white flowers, crème de cassis, hints of blackberry and boysenberry, some licorice and forest floor are followed by an enormously concentrated wine with fabulous purity, a skyscraper-like mid-palate and texture, a length of nearly a minute, and stunning flavors, with flawless integration of acidity, tannin, wood and alcohol. This is a great, great wine and certainly one of the Cabernet Sauvignons of this vintage. Drink it over the next 25-30 or more years.” 100 pts – Robert Parker, Jr., Wine Advocate 12/30/16

Interesting post.

It may have been mentioned above, but aren’t ‘natural wines’ the vinous equivalent of post modernism? Sentimentally harking back to the past but ending up with car crash-like results?

" riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend
of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to
Howth Castle and Environs"
That is natural wine.

Modern wine should be defined by form=function, and the time period roughly post war to mid-1990s. Wine is what it delivers. Paris tasting and all.
Spoofed wine- Rolland, Cambie et. al.- is post modern. I agree with Robert. Ornamentation (oak) becomes form (and thus function as well).

Quite an amusing thread that can pull in Ovid, W B Yeats, Pynchon, and virtually anything from everywhere, because that is where we are now.