Ominous Note From Galloni - 2020 Ridge Monte Bello "Approach With Caution""

Do you really still doubt the smoke taint? Major critics (huge Ridge fans) have confirmed it, even with lab results, and countless others (Ridge fans too) are saying the same thing. Blind and non blind. Knowing about it and not.

If you’re still uncertain, try a 0.375-liter bottle. These smaller formats develop quicker than standard or magnum bottles, giving you an early look at the wine’s future. While the youthful exuberance and fruit might mask the smoke in regular bottles (if you’re not sensitive to smoke), the 0.375-liter bottle reveals it more clearly, in my opinion.

1 Like

3 hours decanted.

The person who poured it did not know. He’s a long term Monte Bello buyer.

p.s. he is not a social media user, and doesn’t subscribe to any wine publications anymore - so…

3 Likes

Andy,

Have you personally tried this wine yet?

Cheers

1 Like

Larry - it’s really not clear what you are trying to do. Really.

2 Likes

Yes, 3 times. Twice from a 0.375, once from a 0.75.

[sarcasm]Get ready to explain your decanting/airing regimen for each bottle.[/sarcasm] :rofl:

1 Like

David,

Just asking questions - it’s a really interesting situation. I tried this wine at Falltacular and found it similar to you but others have noted that they did not pick up any taint. The wine also changed quite a bit with air. So it would have showed differently with a pop and pour.

And what were the impressions of others you tried it with?

Cheers

It was consensus lowest scoring (we score out of 20 in our blind tastings) wine of the night. I had it at 14.5/20, which was slightly lower than the group average of 14.9/20. The owner of the bottle said he would be perfectly happy to drink it if it was $40. Three people (including me) thought it was Syrah.

4 Likes

I’m really surprised that some have liked the wine. Not only was it the worst Monte Bello I’ve ever had, it is the worst bottle of Ridge I’ve ever had. It is the worst bottle of wine I’ve had in recent memory.

2 Likes

While it’s definite worst Monte Bello I have tasted, it’s nowhere close to the worst wine! It’s not even in the bottom 500!

3 Likes

Well you have tasted and dumped more dead wines in the last 6 months than any of us hopefully will in our lifetimes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I have a 2020 estate and a 2020 merlot. Should I be worried about them?

Believe it or not, it’s been 16 months that process has been going on!

The only other Ridge 2020 I’ve had is the Jimsomare Zin. While my wife could taste some faint smoke on the finish, I could not. It was nothing like the MB.

I had the estate cab this past weekend next to a 2018 myriad nv. Had my friend pour me a glass of both. I have no experience with smoke tainted wine. It was without a doubt super clear that one glass smelled of ash tray / cigarette butt.

It wasn’t undrinkable (for me anyways) - almost like a Smokey old fashion - but I was surprised how easily I could smell the smoke.

1 Like

I had not heard of issues with the estate cab as of yet but it unfortunately makes sense. Did Galloni or Dunnuck talk about this wine as well in their reviews?

Cheers

Not great news but not unexpected either

JD gave it a 90 but nothing about taint. He does mention smoked herbs but do not believe he meant that as tainted.

Interesting . . .

One thing to note - young Ridge reds tend to be fairly oak dominated when young, right?

Cheers

2 Likes

How is that relevant to smoke taint?