Ominous Note From Galloni - 2020 Ridge Monte Bello "Approach With Caution""

So that acrid quality went away? Or other things ‘made up for’ or ‘masked’ it? I would not think that it would go away entirely. I would think that perhaps more structure would be build up with air perhaps. But my guess is that this is simply gonna be a lighter take on that specific wine relative to other vintages.

Again, Ridge extensively tested for and didnt include any lots that had the type of smoke taint you’re referring to.

Your second point is spot on. We don’t know that this smoke taint will get any worse. Evidence as it is, so far, indicates it probably won’t. Except for how Larry alludes to. My day 2 bottle picked up weight, making the taint less prominent. Todd’s bottle with 3 days had Monte Bello character return to the wine. Personally, I’m being patient and hopeful. It’s nice that Ridge will take my bottles back 20 years from now. For now, I’ll aim to drink mine 10 to 30 years from now (so, on the early side) to let them pick up weight, and then avoid fading fruit.

1 Like

Mine were just picked up, so I’m out of the game, but I’d not feel confident they’d take it back after 20 years, even 10…resale is low on this one, so I guess I could always pick one up later if I needed it.

I strongly suggest a VERY long decant on both - this is the first time I’ve sampled young Monte Bello and the difference was significant from day 1 (with 3-6 hours of decant) to day 3 (in closed bottle)

An observation - WDC has ‘20 MB for $269. 1-2months ago it was listed at $259. Wonder what drove the price increase in recent months.

First Bottle only has 32 left, at $249, so they are selling, but slowly.

Well said

After all this with the 2020’s, the allocation issues for the 2018 MBs, seeing way more current release Ridge at discounter sites (like the 2021 Geyserville on LB today) I am really starting to think Ridge is for sale or preparing for a sale.

In my professional career I have been employed by a couple of companies that were trying to be acquired. Both made dubious and uncharacteristic choices in an attempt to rapidly increase revenue/EBITDA in order to increase the sale price.

In any case, it seems that there has been a distinct change in business practices over the last few years.

I apologize for the thread drift. Please feel free to tell me to start a new thread.

3 Likes

How were yields in '23? Are we getting squished again?

There have indeed been some changes over the past few years l but it’s hard to know if the pandemic reset the way they want to do business, or there is something more to it. All I know is that Ridge doesn’t have the attraction it did pre pandemic. The hospitality is different, the vibe is different when you’re up there, it’s just… different.

8 Likes

From a distance the vibe has definitely been more…corporate.

They should have been good: 2023 Harvest Report - Monte Bello - Ridge Vineyards

Here’s the official word:

We are beginning our series of assemblage tastings for the 2023 vintage of Monte Bello and will have more details about the total quantity available by mid-May. We’ll contact all members regarding the availability of a futures offer by June 1st.

Is it possible to add other wines to the normal estate shipping order?

Do you think the fact that they had to exclude some lots contributed to a less than typical MB in that potentially some of the best lots from years past that may have been core to blend had to be excluded due to smoke?

I didn’t see this offer, what was LB’s price?

Followed up- it is, you just need to contact them

Good question, but it came across as an impressive vintage in that early tasting (other than that little touch of ashy grit on the finish no one else seemed to notice, and I thought food would easily render a non-issue to me). Didn’t seem to be lacking typicity. The best Merlot block, which almost always makes the cut, is right above the winery, and surely would’ve had to be excluded, and probably not picked. I assume it’s a larger portion of Jimsomare/Klein, but that’s already normally a large portion, and the 100% Jimsomare Cabs are excellent and age very well.

I didn’t click through the email, but the crossed out price was $45. So one would assume below that, just not sure by just how much.

It was $39

I would assume that they went block by block and barrel by barrel to remove lots that appeared to be tainted. I would also assume that they may have used more free tun juice and less harder pressed stuff, perhaps leading to ‘less stuffing’ than usual? Just postulating here . . .

I got an email today with my estate offer, not sure if im getting MB this year but they have changed my club subscription from estate to 4x 750ml + Estate so im assuming I may get 4 offered?

I will be getting 1 2021 estate cab 1 2022 estate chard and 1 of the zinfandel bottles they made exclusive so if anyone has feedback please let me know

5 posts were split to a new topic: Ridge Monte Bello Futures - what other ‘required’ bottles are you buying?