Ominous Note From Galloni - 2020 Ridge Monte Bello "Approach With Caution""

Good question, but it came across as an impressive vintage in that early tasting (other than that little touch of ashy grit on the finish no one else seemed to notice, and I thought food would easily render a non-issue to me). Didn’t seem to be lacking typicity. The best Merlot block, which almost always makes the cut, is right above the winery, and surely would’ve had to be excluded, and probably not picked. I assume it’s a larger portion of Jimsomare/Klein, but that’s already normally a large portion, and the 100% Jimsomare Cabs are excellent and age very well.

I didn’t click through the email, but the crossed out price was $45. So one would assume below that, just not sure by just how much.

It was $39

I would assume that they went block by block and barrel by barrel to remove lots that appeared to be tainted. I would also assume that they may have used more free tun juice and less harder pressed stuff, perhaps leading to ‘less stuffing’ than usual? Just postulating here . . .

I got an email today with my estate offer, not sure if im getting MB this year but they have changed my club subscription from estate to 4x 750ml + Estate so im assuming I may get 4 offered?

I will be getting 1 2021 estate cab 1 2022 estate chard and 1 of the zinfandel bottles they made exclusive so if anyone has feedback please let me know

5 posts were split to a new topic: Ridge Monte Bello Futures - what other ‘required’ bottles are you buying?

Got together with one of the guys in my wine group last evening. He’s been a Monte Bello futures buyer for 10-15 years. He doesn’t do wine discussion groups like this one, is not a Vinous subscriber, and so he had no idea that there was any controversy about this wine. He’s got six bottles resting in his cellar, and wasn’t going to touch them for 10-15 years.

Bliss. We should all be so lucky.

2 Likes

Is he going to open one now or let them rest for 10-15?

one soon

Another reason to be pissed at ridge. My credit card expired in 21 and with that I never updated the info as I have enough wines. Fortunately sidestepped the 20 futures thing. Received an email today that the collector series is ordered and on its way! How the hell did they get payment info?

Most expired cards work months or close to a year after expiration for cardholder not present transactions, as long as the account itself is still active.

1 Like

For many businesses, if all that changed was the expiration date the card will update. I found that out late las year when I got a new card due to an expiration date update.

Auto updates are a feature that many credit card providers offer now. This includes if you have a lost or stolen card and the number changes. Many subscription based services will receive the updated credit card information automatically.

Timmy,

Did you specifically cancel your membership or did you just ‘assume’ that it would based on your credit card expiring? As others have pointed out, auto updating of credit cards happens all of the time now . . . so oops . . .

Cheers

I have cancelled now. I knew my credit card was expiring and use that as an excuse not to order. My own fault, but curious that it would work again after three years.

1 Like

Here’s what I know: the 2021 just arrived at my doorstep, and as usual I popped one of the 375s for reference. It is flat out one of the greatest young wines I have tried (caveat - built for aging). It is so damn good. heavier merlot than previous vintages and it shows with darker, pure fruit with an unbelievable rich mouthfeel and refined tannin. Tastes like a warm vintage Cheval to my palate.

I thought the 2020 was just fine, so maybe others won’t feel the same about the ‘21. However, I shared with my best friend yesterday (and long time wine compatriot) and he called me today just to talk about how incredible it was. All this to say if you dropped off the list, hopefully you have access to some bottles. Otherwise, you’re missing out on one of the future legends.

3 Likes

ok so this is fun: first anecodotal evidence, 21 is better than 20

1 Like

Yes, Monte Bello shows really well at this point (futures customer release and timing of their former barrel tasting events, March-May). Expect it to start shutting down late this year, so opening a bottle a year or several from now can be a disappointing waste. Then, depending on vintage, it’ll start opening up again, gradually. Look for guidance for if a maturing vintage is truly opening up, rather than just good or very good. Factor in your preference, but you should get glimpses, one way or another, on how these progress.

I was just talking to some fellow aging members. We’re all past where it makes sense to be buying MB futures. Like, I prefer at least 30 years on these. But, we all feel '23 will be fantastic, so are deferring the decision to drop off the list. Again.

So is '59-'19 and '22, '23… :wink: