Older Australian reds San Francisco Marina district Sunday January 27

Tonight I had the 2002 Hobbs Shiraz (no, not Paul Hobbs, this is the next door neighbor of Chris Ringland’s Three Rivers vineyard). Calmed down, great acidity (!!), outstanding wine. I sampled at the restaurant (Prima) glasses of Barolo, Banyuls, and Etna Rosso, and this was clearly on a much higher level of quality than all three.

Tonight was the 2002 Aquilon Garnacha, which is basically Alto Moncayo Reserve. Same winemaker as the 2002 Hobbs. Oakier but great deep complex wine. Much better than on release.

Sounds super interesting, I’d love to join if it’s in SF or MV (or Oakland if it’s a weekend)

I’m still trying to arrange my travel schedule so I can be out of the country for this.

Last night 1998 Maxwell Lime Cave Cabernet. Very good acidity, getting leaner , no oak, clean and balanced, very good cab.

I would love to attend if possible. And I hear Michael Twelftree from Two Hands will be in SF the last three days of January… wonder if I could lure him in for this?

Darren that would be great. He stayed at my house once many years ago when he was selling wine but not yet making it .

It’s on my calendar

Confirmed today with our usual venue for 3:30 Sunday January 27th on the water in the Marina district in SF. All are welcome.

I have a couple of magnums of 2003 d’Arenberg but have no idea if I should open them. Any recommendations. Bought them on a whim at a very low price.

Too bad, I can’t do the 27th… I’ll join next time if I’m allowed :wink: Enjoy those wines!

Show up without them I’ll have a lot of wine there. It’ll give you an idea of when to open them. Dead Arm ages well.

I’ll be there with Winfred! Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Winfred will definitely like a couple of these

Thanks George. Sorry I can’t make it. Long trip from Plano, Texas to San Francisco and it is scheduled for Berserker Day. I will be staring at my computer screen all day.

I have to bow out. Turns out my MIL’s birthday is on Sunday and I’m making her lunch.

Have fun!

Here are the wines I’m thinking of opening. No HOG or Grange or Three Rivers, otherwise the best I have.

I need an Ares or Aphrodite…Randy Bowman?

The cabernets make a nice flight and I’ll bring them all, I marked them with an @ sign…the shirazes with an asterisk I’m definitely bringing…

But what else do I bring? Opinions pro and con?

2005 Torbreck Lost Highway ShirazMarsanne or ShirazRoussanne
2004 Magpie Black Sock Mourvedre
1998 Rosabrook Abbatoir Margaret River
2004 Tatiarra Caravan Pressings
@ 1998 Wild Duck Creek Cab Reserve
1996 Burge Draycott
*1996 Burge Draycott Reserve
*2002 Astralis
1990 Rockford Basket Press
1999 Jasper Hill Georgia’s…perfectly balanced wine
*1998 Veritas Hanisch…hi Rolf
1998 E and E Black Pepper
@ 1997 Greenock Creek Roennfeldt Rd Cab
*1996 Rockford SVS Hoffman, the unicorn in this event
2004 DeLisio McLarenV Shiraz
1995 Henschke Mt. Edelstone Shiraz
2004 Kilikanoon horizontal…“R”, “M”, or “Oracle”
2004 Glaetzer Godolphin, 2002 Glaetzer Amon-Ra
*1998 Kay Bros. Block Six
2002 Emigre’
Tawnies
Leeuwin Artist chard…world class but wrong event maybe, it’s not red
@ 1994 John Riddoch Cab
1998 Dutschke Oscar Semmler
@ 1998 Maxwell Lime Cave Cab
@ 1998 Yarra Yering Dry Red #1
1998 Jim Barry Armagh…bring a leaker or not leaker?
*2002 Hobbs…no not Paul Hobbs
1998 Warrenmang Estate
@ 1998 Pertaringa Cab
*Wendouree from the '90’s

Betty, Betty, Betty…ok fine…does she like wine?

I deleted a lot of my notes from this thread including several TN’s but tonight is 2004 Cirillo “1850” Old Vine Grenache Barossa. Upon opening no excess oak but too tired and herbal. Two hours later not tired, no excess oak, unusual flavors of tar and herbs along with driving dark fruit. 168 year old vines apparently? Needs a lot more age or air than I gave it. Unique outstanding wine that is pure terroir. Much more vigor than the Tahbilk super old vine Shiraz. Like a cross between a Rougeard CF and a Vieux Telegraph Mourvedre. No that’s not it.

champagne.gif