OLD El-Cheapos That Surprise?

I remember being really surprised by some of these too - although can’t remember the vintage as it must have been more than a decade or so ago. Bought them as summer Sangria bases and ended up enjoying a few all by themselves. I don’t see this bottling out by me much now, although their Tres Picos ($10 more!) is carried by our Costco and local supermarkets.

It was definitely hit or miss though. I remember getting some 1982 Patache d’Aux for $9 that were pretty good, but also getting smoked by some cheap 1990 Vacqueryas too.

No doubt. I also got some vile stuff that I bought randomly from the RSS feed.

Good one!!

I recall having tasted numerous bottles of Trimbach Gewürtztraminer, Riesling, Muscat that all aged beautifully. None of mine were over 15 years, however.

I enjoyed a 2002 Riverlands (AUS) Craggs Creek Shiraz-Mourvédre on numerous occasions, up to about 10-years-old. It was obviously not designed for age, but the Stelvin closure helped it immensely.

One wine that was surprisingly pleasing was the 1997 (or was it '98?) SebastianiDomenici Vineyard Old Vines” Sonoma Valley Mourvèdre. It was drunk in about 2007-08. The site is now known as… “Bedrock Vineyard

1 Like
  • BUMP *

2007 Newton Red Label (their ‘second wine’) Cab around $19.00 stuck a few in my long term experiment box, to say these punched above their weight would be an understatement.

1 Like
  • 2002 Bodegas Borsao Campo de Borja Borsao - Spain, Aragón, Campo de Borja (2/19/2008)
    Hey! This stuff really ages. I was making beef stew tonight so this morning, after getting the other ingredients together in a pot, I pulled a bottle of 2002 Borsao and set it on the counter. As 5:00, I called my son, told him to uncork the wine, pour it into the pot, and put it in the oven. I asked him to leave a few ounces in the bottles for later. At 7:30, I uncorked the left over bottle on the counter and unceremoniously took a swig from the bottle, expecting to quench my curiosity more than my thirst. Intense and complex cherry and raspberry flavors with some pepper and spice. I poured the rest into a glass so I could write a proper note. Moderate red color but not opaque, a little like a dark ruby. Cherry on the nose. still the same palate. Tannins softened and sweet. No oak or vanilla. This is a bona fide very good to excellent wine, 88 pts without the QPR factor. I bought a case of this 4 years ago at Zachy’s on sale for $4.59 per bottle. Best bargain since the $6 Le Montrachet I got in 1978. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I never surprise anybody. People know me too well.

Me thinks I should stop using it for sangria!