Oh How the (once) Mighty Has Fallen > Schrader

Can you please elaborate ??

Pricing keeps going up for the list but the secondary market keeps going up with it

Changed winemakers, went corporate, raised prices beyond logic, while still restricting visitors via helicopter. not sure how they maintain but the train keeps rolling.

When I first purchased Schrader in 2007, the price per bottle was $150. In 2009, it went to $175, where it remained until last year (maybe 2 years ago). I wouldn’t know, since they threw me off the list for selling just prior to my offer. [wink.gif] I think the current price is $225 ish.

The magnum 2009 - 2013 was $400, now increased to $?

MacDonald is currently around $160 if I recall correctly. Limited price increases since they began, according to CT.

Actually, you could say that about most Napa cabs including MacDonald. I’ve been off that stuff for a while now.

Dan, Sparky was $500 last year. I’ve been on the list since the '06 vintage.
I’ll buy this year and then evaluate. My wife loves Schrader wines, so…

Thanks, Dan! I was beginning to think I’d committed some offense by asking!

Just out of curiosity, what’s Screagle going for these days?

I’ll gladly admit that I enjoy the wine (Schrader), and I buy to drink it, not sell it. Schrader wines have been a part of various family celebrations over the years and it is my special occasion go-to, for sure.

But the price increases the last few years have me seriously considering cutting back, especially because of their insane shipping/packaging costs which add a significant amount to the bottle cost. When people say the wine is $225/bottle, that’s really not accurate.

About 4 years ago I appraised and facilitated the sale of a cellar that included a significant collection of Schrader- from what I could gather it was just about everything they had made to date that a single mailing list customer could buy along with several additional magnums of Sparky that had been purchased in the secondary market.

That parcel of Schrader was quite a challenge- we ended up splitting it off from the rest of the cellar- and I offered it to more parties than I have ever offered a collection/parcel from a collection before or since.

At that particular time, several of the potential buyers we reached out to provided consistent information (meaning location and occupation, where provided, were similar- no names of course) that suggested there were 3-4 private individuals who had been buying up large quantities of the wines all over the country, and 2 of those individuals had recently dramatically slowed their purchases.

As such, a lot of retailers had more Schrader on hand for secondary resale than they were comfortable with- and it took some weeks to find a reseller who wanted to buy the wines at a “strong” price.

This could well explain what you are seeing. There is no question the wines are highly regarded and very popular, but as someone else noted Schrader makes quite a lot of wine, and from what I have observed there is not- at least not at this time- quite the “relative” level of demand from the all-I-can-get-at-any-price crowd to sustain the sort of long term secondary activity that can get a winery to the Screaming Eagle or Harlan level.

Tom - Those are very interesting insights. Thanks.

I was a buyer of Schrader at $175 - I still have a few bottles in the cellar. The secondary market in big $$ napa cab is fickle - IMO made up of the super rich - they care a lot more about securing the super small production cults like Harlan and Screagle. Up until the sale of Schrader, annual production was relatively small I believe. I doubt if they are having a hard problem selling out through the mailing list even at the higher price. Remains to be seen where they go with production and pricing in the future…

That seems to be disputed by several people above, including Tom Reddick in his detailed post.

“Relatively” is the word. The new guys can ramp up production even more.

But Bryant, Colgin, Harlan and Shafer still seem to be doing well, and Screaming Eagle. Shrader seems like it never exactly fit for some reason.

I think the next to go is Screaming Eagle - now that Kroenke is the face of it.

Somewhere in the vicinity of $800.00 I believe.

2014 MACDONALD was $165 a bottle. First price increase since the MacDonald brothers started offering their bottles commercially (2010 to 2013 vintages were $150/bottle).

Coincidentally, I was blessed to share a bottle of the 2015 MACDONALD today with Alex MacDonald. I asked him if anyone had dropped from the mailing list b/c of the price increase of the 2014 vintage. He said not a single person did.

I stopped buying any wine a year ago (too old, cellar is too full), but when the 2014 MacDonald offer came in I broke my freeze with no second thoughts.

If they had held it at $75, which it was when I first started buying on the list, I’d be a buyer. [rofl.gif]

I price my Schraders to include tax and shipping. I divide the shipping by the number of bottles counting the mags as 2,

750s = $259
1.5s = $556

Not cheap and I probably won’t be buying next year.
Almost forgot the MacDonald

750s = $188

Well a few months ago Alex and I were on a tandem bike cruising through to kalon and drinking barrel samples of the 2016 and eating 2017 grapes. he said a $15 price hike isn’t as big as 175 to 225 so ppl probably weren’t concerned when retailers were selling the wine for $450+

He told me the same thing when we did our annual 12 day power-sail through the Maldives.