Official Dryuary (Dry January) 2021 Thread

I’m not sure if I make it an entire month but today is the first day for me. In addition I received a Covid vaccine today, so figure it’s going to be a good idea to stay sober while my body processes whatever magic just hit my blood stream. Probably I’ll make it 3 weeks, which is okay for me

Officially started today. Also my January eating routine: 11 am - 7 pm, basically a lot of green vegetables, oils, nuts, animal protein, some fruits and 80 oz of water. Lotsa beets, asparagus, fermented foods. Very few starches, dairy or soy. I would normally have specific exercise goals this month, but I’m finding getting my wind post-Covid to be more difficult than it’s ever been in my life. I’m hoping to get a realistic idea of what I can do if I push myself for 28 days.

1 Like

A reminder…

This is my 11th year doing a combination of ‘Dry January’ and eliminating dessert and most carbs for the month. I find it an excellent reset from the excess that invariably happens in the Summer and also the food/alcohol marathon from before Thanksgiving through New Years. I usually end the year up about 10 lbs from my ideal weight and this allows me to get back to a few pounds under. A nice side benefit is after a month, the initial few days of reintroducing wine, the wine tastes amazing and it only takes 1/2 bottle to feel it…

I am doing a modified dry January with a few boys. Wine only on weekends. Last time I took serious time off wine was 2003. Started 1/1. Also picking up running again. Wifey joining me as well - wine and running. She’s also going carb-free. I cannot do that, but generally do avoid enriched flour anyway.

Day 4 now for me, as we always start on Jan 2 to allow for some favorite New Year’s Day traditions.

I’ve been in light dietary ketosis since the first afternoon. My body is used to the switch and accommodates quickly, with few or no side effects. I do, however, need a week to get adjusted to differences in sleep. I take longer to spin down, relax and fall asleep without any wine, but I know my sleep quality is better. Mint tea is a nice replacement for relaxing before bed.

I prefer life with wine, no question. But I do enjoy the reset.

Started the no-alc yesterday, goal is to continue until Friday Jan. 29 and reevaluate. Cutting back carbs as well. The last 6 months has been a free for all of beer, wine, carbs and the results are evident. Time to get some things back in order. We’ve cut out alcohol in February before but the last few years we said we would and it lasted maybe a week. I’m going to put out a bit more effort this time. I hope :slight_smile:.

Same here. Last year we nearly emptied the cellar as we hunkered down. I weighed myself today and was shocked.

Anyway, exercised every day so far, 5/5, and started the no alcohol challenge yesterday, so 1/1.

Hoping for you that the toilet is nearby…

1 Like

Totally agree.

I believe this will be my 5th dry January as well. The previous years I’ve gone about six weeks up to the President’s Day weekend. Like you, I try to combine this dry time with exercise and better eating habits. The thing I’ve noticed is that it’s harder and harder every year to lose weight.

108 hours down. 636 hours to go.

Calculus changes if I go to President’s Day again.

I’m taking the month off as well. One bit of advice that has helped me in past dry Januarys:

If you take one vice away, try adding another relatively harmless one in its place. That way it’s not all about deprivation.

In my case, I “treat” myself to a daily Coca Cola — an item I love but have eliminated from my normal diet.

For others, maybe it’s allowing yourself to watch garbage TV shows for the month or taking up a new hobby like pickleball or whatever.

I also recommend having a savory drink with dinner to scratch the itch. There’s only so much water you can take! I like strong ginger beers or faux hipster designer cocktails with bitters and what not.

I’m in on dry January as well. I plan to not drink at all in January, then one bottle a month (via Coravin) thereafter until I get the vaccine. I figure its a good way to cut back after enjoying more wine than usual in 2020 (was up to about 4-5 bottles a month in 2020)

Good luck with that! I would be unsuccessful…

Thank you for posting this. I have had a heckuva time getting to sleep. Will try the mint tea.

Try not looking at any screens at all, and preferably dimming the lights, starting about 30 minutes before bed. Melatonin production is triggered by light signals.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this. Having only water with dinner is such a drag!

Do you have any favorite hipster mocktails?

Though if you have to look at your phone, there are some posters on WB who can help you fall asleep. [cheers.gif]

The last couple of years I had trouble getting to sleep too. This year is different. This year, my 1 year old is now a 2 year old and has assumed the role of an accidental personal trainer. I crash by 945 every night…