Oct 24 - Dueling Auctions (Acker vs HDH)

I lost that Roulot MP battle - cheaper retail

I haven’t bought from either in a while. I have in the past gotten insane deals on some wines, especially 16’ BDX. But find its not happening anymore, thinks tend to go for over retail in the last few auctions I’ve paid attention to.

We drank the 90 Rayas just before Covid and it was fantastic.

Purchased 4 btls. of the 17 Roulot MP for $825. Too soon to flip ?

If so…DM :slight_smile:

Shit. Making me consider consigning my 1999 Roumier Amoureuses…

You can get a pretty penny, but if you want to hold for a few more years, we can do a side by side with my less fancy Mugnier.

Three out of the four bottles I’ve had of 1990 Rayas were corked. None were mine, but a friend did four tastings over the course of several years of pretty much all of the top 1989 and 1990 Chateauneufs and the 1990 Rayas was great enough that at one of them a lightly corked bottle got more than a few votes for wine of the night. It wasn’t until the fourth and final tasting that we finally got a clean bottle of the Rayas.

right ? It’s crazy. Although I just looked over the HDH results and I didn’t see Coche prices out of hand.

Maybe the 98s too?

I did get a nice lot of Hugel ‘76 and ‘83 VT and SGN for a reasonable price at HDH. No one else bid. And it’s a nice drive up to pick up my wines and I can stop off at DowntoEarth to pick up some 2019 Rieslings I ordered.

Acker and HDH should not be used in the same sentence - doing so sullies the HDH name.

This!!

Acker has just made some major hires, I assume at least partly to try and clean up their image. Not expressing an opinion here other than on the fact that I am a big fan of Jamie Pollack and Alicia.

Hey Maureen! I opened my last '98 Roumier Amoureuses a couple years ago… it was spectacular. Sadly, no '99s in the cellar.

I could add in my even less fancy 99 Drouhin

This makes me so sad. 1974 HMV is my “must try before you die” birth-year wine. :frowning:

Don’t do it! I have HUGE sellers remorse–sold my 2 bottles of 1999, 3 bottles of 2005 and 3 bottles of 2009 a few years ago through HdH pileon .

I didn’t know that. Who is taking Jamie’s spot at Zachy’s?

It’s not clear to me at this time whether they will structure things the same way, so have a single role comparable to her prior title. I do know that Julia Murray (formerly Gilbert) has gone back to Zachys. Her title in the most recent catalog is Managing Director, Auctions.

I could add my sparkling conversation. [snort.gif]