NYT on Drinking Wine Alone...Now

Only once have I finished off a bottle of wine by myself. My wife and I took a bottle of red and a bottle of white to dinner at a friend’s house, only to discover that neither of them really like to drink wine. We were there for a few hours. I polished off the red, and my wife polished off the white. A first for both of us.
Under the current circumstances, I wonder whether a bottle of wine might ward off viruses. Self-medication at its best.

Only once have I finished off a bottle of wine by myself.

Same here!

Only once or twice a week. Usually my wife has at least a glass unless she hates it.

Most of my wine drinking is done, in fact, alone. Single and living alone and I love to cook and eat. Of course it’s more fun with people but unless you live with another wine lover, this is going to be the reality.

I have never finished a single bottle of wine in one setting, however. Not even a half bottle. Aside from the health benefit of.not overiindulging in alcohol, I simply find that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I lwould rather savor a wine over at least a couple of days. I have found this to be true even with low alcohol Moscatos, German Rieslings and ciders.

Most of my wine drinking is done, in fact, alone. Single and living alone and I love to cook and eat. Of course it’s more fun with people but unless you live with another wine lover, this is going to be the reality.

I have never finished a single bottle of wine in one setting, however. Not even a half bottle. Aside from the health benefit of.not overiindulging in alcohol, I simply find that there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I lwould rather savor a wine over at least a couple of days. I have found this to be true even with low alcohol Moscatos, German Rieslings and ciders.

3 day wine review! 7 out of 10 wines I open are as good on day 2/3. [cheers.gif]

It’s not the first time Chris has been FOS!

I often spit when I drink alone at home. I can only do it alone because it grosses out my wife :slight_smile:

There was probably a time when I could finish a bottle by myself without ruining my week, but this is not that time.

Exactly the opposite with me. Though it does happen occasionally, very, very few wines I open strike me as overall better on day 2, let alone 3 (not that many make it that far unless they’ve been deemed cooking wine). I realize this position is contrary to most people’s experience, based on how many “even better on day two!” notes I read on CT. It generally doesn’t happen that way for me. More often, I find some elements of the wine improved on day 2, but I almost always begin to detect slightly stale notes after the first night, and the texture is rarely as pleasing to me.

That’s why, if I’m drinking alone, I generally stick to wine where I won’t mind if some goes to waste. As to finishing an entire bottle myself alone - certainly I’ve done it from time to time. But more often if I end up drinking a bottle it’s because my husband and I have opened two over the course of a nice long evening together and I’ve had my share.

Over the years, I’ve come to realize I don’t much enjoy one glass of wine. I’d rather have none. Half a bottle is perfect.

I agree. For me, I have NEVER tasted a red wine on day two that was as good as it was on day one. That may be because I tend to drink more mature reds. I will occasionally open a bottle of white wine, like a German riesling, and drink a glass a day. That bottle rarely lasts more than three days.

That may be because I tend to drink more mature reds.

Agree with that. Most of the wines I do 3 day reviewing tend to be less than 10 years from vintage. I would not dare try 25 year old wines on day 2 if they were drinking well on 1.

Exactly! Agree on all counts.

This thread reminds me of my favorite Churchill quote:

“A magnum of Champagne is perfect for two people …

… so long as one of them isn’t drinking!”

Similar routine here. Old and mature bottles are mostly or completely consumed on day one, while I have no hesitation to give young bottles two days.

However, with Repour I’ve found that mature wines can be put into suspended animation for 2-5 days after opening.

I have consumed a bottle alone before, a few times when my Wife has been out of town. It is usually over a four to five hour time frame, sometimes six hours, with food, so I do not feel that it is an issue. If you are drinking a bottle a night, alone, with frequency, it is probably an issue.

Probably because you are a dick, an asshole, a bad friend, a bad boy/girlfriend (whatever terminology for whatever relationship type you would like to insert here), bad company or a lunatic. Not because you’re an alcoholic.

I’m glad my FOS-edness is being tracked, but I warn you, it could become a big job.

I never said or implied that nobody spits at big tastings. I tasted probably 40 wines at Falltacular and spit all 40 of them, which is not to say I always or usually do that. And I sometimes spit at home – especially if there is one last glass of a good wine later in the evening, I don’t want it to go to waste, but I don’t want to tack on another unit of alcohol that will only be a negative at that point.

What I said was that it is one of those things that you’re supposed to say, and as a result, people claim it more often and more forcefully than it really happens. I don’t know or care which specific people exaggerate that and which do not, I’m just confident that in the aggregate, a lot more people say certain things than do them. I don’t think it’s extremely shocking or cynical to realize that goes on in life.

Back to the point, I think all or most of us realize that drinking wine some times while you’re alone isn’t a bad thing per se. What I like about this article and this thread is that it moves it out of the realm of “something almost all of us do, and realize is fine, but most people won’t admit it and may even claim publicly it’s a bad thing” and into a more honest footing.

Similar routine here. Old and mature bottles are mostly or completely consumed on day one, while I have no hesitation to give young bottles two days.

However, with Repour I’ve found that mature wines can be put into suspended animation for 2-5 days after opening.

Repour sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Those personality traits probably make someone drink more, alcoholic or not.
Luckily I am none of those.

Didn’t say or mean to imply you were any of those things. Just saying drinking a bottle of wine does not make one an alcoholic. If you’re drinking a lot alone it is likely due to other things.

…or not.