NYC: Ravenswood 1/21 @ Bobby Vans [Updated]

Sorry I have to bail out. Moving 2/1 and a lot to do.

Going with Bobby Vans. RiverPark did send me an email which I can’t find it, and I have the flu and traveling for work next couple days… won’t have time to re-reach out and coordinate. Just a heads up RiverPark did have a pre-fix requirement that would cost all-in something like $120-130 or so, so it is a different deal there now for large groups.

Gonna slot you in Jeff, let me know if I am mistaken! Bring what you got

Seat 1: Sh@n A
Seat 2: Jason T
Seat 3: Jonathan Sirot
Seat 4: Juliec
Seat 5: CliftonD
Seat 6: Thomas Rippe
Seat 7: Jeff Davidson
Seat 8:

Cancelled:
Brent C l a y t o n

thanks, me and my 2011 old hill zin are looking forward to it. It’s the first day of nyc restaurant week so riverpark would probably have been slammed anyway.

Hi all, reconfirming!

Seat 1: Sh@n A
Seat 2: Jason T
Seat 3: Jonathan Sirot
Seat 4: Juliec
Seat 5: CliftonD
Seat 6: Thomas Rippe
Seat 7: Jeff Davidson

I’m in. Please send details.

Confirming 7 pm at this location. Should we bring stems?

Bringing 14 Bader-Mimeur St-Aubin, En Remilly, 1er.

Bobby Vans
131 East 54 St.
near Park Ave.

Seat 1: Sh@n A 1994 Monte Rosso
Seat 2: Juliec 1993 Cooke
Seat 3: Thomas Rippe 1994 Pickberry
Seat 4: Jason T
Seat 5: Jonathan Sirot 1993 Dickerson plus TBD Once & Future release (thanks!)
Seat 6: Jeff davidson: 2011 old hill

Current list attached, have not heard from Jason and Jonathan recently but assume they are both coming. CliftonD cancelled.

7pm at Bobby Vans. No need to bring stems, they are good for that.

Shan, i think.i sent you an email.yeterday, but in case it didn’t go through, this is my official confirmation that I will be there tonight. See y’all soon. I predict several of these old gems will really shine…

Jason T dropped out, so then there were 5. But these 5 have all confirmed, so we are good.

[popcorn.gif]

I am sure others will chime in with their notes/thoughts.

Wines were double decanted 1.5 hours prior to consumption for sediment. After standing for nearly 2 months, all wines were poured clear except for small haze on the Dickerson which never 100% settled. Pristine corks.

WOTY (Red):
1993 Monte Rosso. Sumptuous and rounded, but elegant. Not a layered, complex wine, but was well balanced and could be drunk without food. Wine held up through the night. Sub 15% alc if I recall, closer to 14% than 15%. The library release price was probably fair here IMHO, but wouldn’t call this a shocking value etc. A big step up ahead of the Cooke/Dickerson and other zins tried.

Runners Up:
1991 Pickberry, merlot/cab/cab franc blend. Really great for the first hour. I personally wouldn’t put it up there in the best 90s cabs/cab blends that I have had, but it was still very, very good. Fell off by hour 2-3.
1993 Cooke 100% Zinfandel. Had some corkiness which blew off (mostly) over time. Also fell off by hour 2-3.

Others:
1993 Dickerson. Was never up to the standard of the cook from the get go
2011 Old Hill. A little ripe and a little alcoholic.
2014 O&F Bedrock Vineyard. A little ripe and a little alcoholic.

Enjoyed the St. Aubin that Tom brought, and of course the 2008 Cristal that J Sirot shared to celebrate a personal event. Happily, I was not allergic to either the Aubin or the Cristal, and was able to put down some of that.

Thanks Shan for the grand plan/prep of the Ravenswood line up and arranging the rest pairin’ to the wines. It was good to try the aged zin and ca blends. Agree with the notes. Monte Rosso Vineyard had a strong showing. Pick berry good blend. Amazing how tannic the Cooke was still. Thanks Jonathan for sharing the Cristal and O&F. Tom it was a wonderful St A. Jeff the OH was good to taste through different vineyards.

Thanks to all for company and generosity. Thanks to Shan for organizing and decanting many bottles. Good company, food and service was good.

I’m not so familiar with Ravenswood beyond the occasional $25 Zin current release on the shelf that was too big for me. This tasting was an eye opener. All the wines showed well but one. They were easy to drink, perfectly balanced, desirable- not too big. The '93’s were surprisingly in excellent shape with no orange edges and will hold. The newer releases of single vineyards showed very well. Notes, missing a couple of things:

08 Crystal was easily WOTN. Great thanks to Jonathan.

Next best was '93 Cooke Zin. It’s great elegance along with balance and perfect fruit brought it above the rest. Drinking perfectly.

Close second was the '93 Monte Rosso. Completely healthy, will hold, beautiful balance.

'11 old Hill. Everything in place, completely accessible, showing well. Delicious.

'93 Dickerson. Out of sorts. Not at all together. Hold a couple of years to see what happens. Not over the hill.

We started with a white burg. '14 Bader- Mimeur, St. Aubin, En Remilly This was second try after a bottle two months earlier that showed more generous and open. It was a beautiful thing. This bottle, young, bit closed, mineral, balanced, feminine. After four hours delicious and beautiful. (tried to buy more today at my shop, sold out)