NSG Fans?

The 00 MG Chaignots was my MG epiphany wine. Pure luck that I happened to buy a case - every one was spectacular.

Loathe though I am to go against your wisdom, I have several bottles of the wine and am itching to get a baseline for the wine’s future development! So I will go for it, but if it doesn’t show well you told me so [truce.gif]

1st NSG needs a lot of time, 20-25+ years
2nd it is a masculine structured wine, neither graceful like Chambolle nor perfumed like a Vosne
That’s facts, very rarely otherwise

I am not a big fan of wines from NSG. I love elegance in my Burgundies and not power and, with exceptions (like Mugneret-Gibourg because of where their vineyard is located) I don’t get that from the wines of NSG. I prefer other flavors to the more plummy flavors of NSG. Even with producers I like (for example, Dublere and Hudelot-Noellat), I buy other wines of theirs and leave the wines from NSG to the rest of you.

Do you find Gouges wines plummy?
Do you know that Hudelot Noellat NSG village is from bas de combe, a terroir that borders Vosne Aux reas (above the Vosne), below NSG les Boudots(itself bordering Vosne Malconsorts) and sits along Vosne les Chaumes?
A Vosne in all but name and a great terroir indeed (rather close to 1er cru level like the MG version from the same terroir) usually better than the HN Chambolle village

I’m not a psychiatrist, so I cannot say clinically what is wrong with you, but will perhaps suggest a swift smack to your head might knock some sense into you: NSG IS B. It’s all pinot noir, so nothing different or distinct from regular Burgundy.

Mugnier’s NSG Marechale is quite elegant in my book, more a paradigm of grace and beauty, definitely not one of power and plums.

So, basically, the responses I am getting is that people like NSGs that don’t taste like they come from NSG. You guys are putting down NSG more than I am.

I opened one of a 4 pack, so was in a bit of the same boat (and it was for a Zoom with Mugneret-Gibourg). Nothing wrong with checking in on wine - just don’t be surprised if it doesn’t show it’s best. It’s still a very good wine. The joy of Mugneret-Gibourg is that they’re lovely at almost any stage of development. Pretty much the only one I’ve ever had that was closed was a 2005 Fueselottes on pop and pour (with a decant another bottle a few weeks later was arguably the best 05 Burgundy I’ve had) .

Not everyone needs to like the same style of burgundy. Sounds like the OP hasn’t really had enough of the right NSG’s to make that decision. Personally, I don’t own much Pommard or Corton, as I don’t so much bond with the style, and don’t like waiting 25 years to drink my wines. I do, however, like an array of styles of burgundy in my cellar. Some nights you need a heftier, or earthier, burgundy (NSG, Gevrey, or SLB for earthier) to match certain foods, or moods. Other nights, a more elegant Chambolle is perfect.

Thanks Howard for answering my question. I guess I don’t find NSG so powerful - though I do find them less silky than my more favored Burgs. The plummy flavor is understandable. I have to think about that next time I drink NSG (admittedly, lower on my depth chart overall).

When I first started into the Land of Burgundy I gravitated to more Northern climes in the "heart of red burgundy as mentioned by the OP. But I had really not tried many NSG. To make things simple I’d just try a few Chevillion. If that does not float your boat then I would move on and maybe try again after a while. Nuit is different than Vosne, Chambolle, Morey etc but a great NSG is a great bottle of Burgundy.

[help.gif]

It seems so - but why then not the real thing, a Vosne or Chambolle …
granted more expensive and harder ro find.

I repeat myself, bur Nuits can be outstanding, bur with enough bottle age …

I think Cailles has the femininity and elegence I’m looking for in Burgundy while still seeming like NSG- maybe because that’s how I discovered NSG.

On the other hand, Gouges, and Chevillon Vaucrains are on the masculine side. But I guess i have a broader view of what tastes like NSG.

I think that just about sums up my feeling. Plummy and woodsy are the themes I’ve found which are probably great with the right food, but not my favorite for sipping.

If one wants to learn the wines of NSG, Chevillion is a good producer to do it with. He makes wines from vineyards in different parts of the appellation and so by trying say one or more from the North and one or more from the South one can get a decent view of what the appellation has to offer without confusing terroir differences with producer differences.

I agree. The three villages I have the most wine from are Gevrey, Morey and Volnay.

Inspired by this thread I just opened an ‘09 Gouges ‘Porrets’. Definitely on the darker, more brooding end of Burgundy. Even a hint of plums. But god it’s also gorgeous—pure and refined with fine tannins that will lead to improvement for decades. While dense and coiled, it’s really quite good now. (Young Gouges ain’t what it used to be.)
FD840CE0-0467-453F-9CD8-388BF0EE6E07.jpeg

as prices has gone up on chambolle, Vosne etc. I have actually now a good number of NSG in the cellar - most of them young, so not real notes on them yet. But best ever exp with NSG has been Domaine Leroy 1989 and Mugnier 2010. Cost has gone up on both, but Mugnier still within reach. So charming and fair value ~ around 135 euro in a restaurant in Gothenborg, Sweden.

Hudelot-Noëllat’s Nuits-St-Georges 1er Cru “Murgers” is usually quite accessible young.