Nothing Rhong with some Rhone.

Sorry for the corny cornas word play.

Sorry for that one too.

We got together for a quick meal and some wine. 2008 Allemand Reynard is an absolute STUNNER right now.

• 2008 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/7/2016)
    dense and pure wine. There’s just so much stuffing with this structure completely filled in with smokey rich berries and olive. It started to really amp up in depth as a hour went by as the tannins softened and everything kicked up a notch. Will age really well but it’s damn near impossible to keep my hands off these right now.
  • 2012 Marcel Juge Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/7/2016)
    Same killer explosion of cracked pepper, berries and meat as a few months ago. That nose never disappoints. The palate was pretty thin and closed down most of the time though. For about ten minutes it picked up density and started to show off that elegant balance but it quickly shut up again. Tough to drink next to the 08 allemand reynard which is such a powerhouse on the palate.
  • 2013 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (10/7/2016)
    Pretty accessible from the start, ripe rich fruit, textured minerality, pretty big wine . After some times the acid starts to subside and it gets a bit too fat. I think it needs some time to shed that fat
  • 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (10/7/2016)
    Been a year or so since i’ve last had an 02 dom. Still has that saline bite on the back end. Fresh and clean. could use a bit more fruit on it. shy like a first date, needs some time.

Making my mouth water for a bottle of the 08. Sounds like it hasn’t changed much from over a year ago:

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111765&p=1685387

Nice! I have the 08 Chaillot but not the Reynard. Fu should have popped the Juge before the Allemand. Juge card must be revoked and not wasted on a Baller! [wow.gif]

As much as I tried to stop buying the Allemand wines, I haven’t been able to say No. I’ve just learned to find budget and cut somewhere else so that I can keep bringing a few more in when I am able. Picking up the 12 Reynard earlier this summer hurt the budget, that’s for sure. But man, these Allemand wines are dope. Thanks for the note, Charlie.

Good question, if the Juge would have shown “better” on its own, not in comparison to the more massive Allemand. Not nearly as much experience with Juge as I’d like, but it’s definitely at the opposite end of the spectrum from Allemand, much more elegant and burgundian, even young. And I’m on record as saying the 12 vintage is overrated, so maybe that’s also part of it.

I gotta a 99 Chaillot still aging. How you think that is doing? Shall I drink it this holiday season or age it some mo’?

I posted on a very reduced bottle of Allemand 99 Chaillot a couple of months ago. It seems people have had mixed experiences with it. No rush to open it, though.

Just finishing off the juge with 4 hrs of air. Much more fruit. Lithe. Very pretty. Who says wines don’t get better with air. Nose is next level now, explosion of red berries and smoked olives right now. I had my two casual wine friends smell it and response was “woah. That is unlike any wine I have ever smelled”

That could be interpreted a couple of ways, lol

Great to hear the wine blossomed after some time. Were you drinking it by itself at that point, so not trying to “keep up” with the bigger Allemand?

Had the rest of the allemand. Allemand is at the same level. Juge’s nose is so incredible right now. Stylistically palate is night and day from the allemand but it’s holding its own now

don’t get all Thierry on us apologizing for the puns. We won’t Juge you, Fu. Allemand are the bad puns Pernot reasons–the really Dom ones.

I really liked the density of the Allemand. Only my 2nd Allemand but I preferred it over the 13. Not sure if it’s the age or vintage talking.

For me, the 13 Pernot BBM wasn’t really fat. Just a bit too tropical and heavy on the oak. I would say needs a lot of time but there are reports of premox with 12 Pernot so…

You should delete your account :wink:

Serious question: is Thierry Allemand the greatest winemaker in the world? I’m not implying Allemand are the greatest wines; rather, what he does with his terroir.

I thought it impressive–I worked in every wine w a pun!!

He def does something with cornas that no one else does.