Notes from last week - 89 Latour, 78 Pichon Lalande, 90 Jaboulet, 96 Dugat Charmes

I really like Dugat Charmes. Had the '93 and '99 recently and both were excellent.

I think you had the 91…

Thats true . . .

The '89 Latour is a very interesting wine for me vis-a-vis the '90… I like the '89 more than the '90 in terms of traditional cut, bouquet and structure (my wife and some friends don’t get that); but recognize that the '90 is much more ripe, open and has a lusher mouthfeel.

The '78 Pichon Lalande is definitely a good wine, though I prefer the '79. Have you tried the two side-by-side yet? I’d be very interested to know what you think.

N

I’ve had the '81 once around 5 years ago. My handwritten notes of this must have been in the pile I lost a while back (which spurred me to start my blog) as I can’t locate any online. I only recall that it was one of the wines that re-confirmed my impression that '81 is a materially under-appreciated Bdx vintage.

The '70, I know I’ve never tasted yet, and, of course, would like to.

Yes, Pichon Lalande is, in my opinion, one of the most reliable Bdx producers. As far as I recall, I’ve had the 61, 75, 76, 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 85, 86, 88, 89, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02 and 03. Most were enjoyed several times; the/some of the 61, 75, 78, 79, 82 ex-château. I’ve had the '82 many, many times (around 4-5 bottles of those were ex-château, the others purchased in the US) and my friends and I have noted significant bottle variance. Still, when it’s on, it is sublime.

Re 78, that was the year the château was handed over to Mm. de Lencquesaing (administered since early-mid '70s by LLC’s Delon due to a family squabble over inheritance). 79 was the first vintage Mm. de Lenquesaing was fully in charge of the estate.

I really enjoyed the 89 LaTour, it had everything you could want in a wine, bouquet, mouthfeel and finish. Have not had the 90.

The '89 is excellent. I prefer it to the '90, but that, of course, is picking nits.

Hope you are staying dry Noel!

Dry as a bone, P. Thanks!

Nice notes, dude … the 89 Latour really is a tasty wine. Seems to fly under the radar a bit.