Note-taking tips for large tasting events

Planning is a big thing for me if I can get the list of wines in advance. For the UGCs, e.g., I have my wines numbered in advance so that I’m doing the progression I want.

I will confess this—I don’t spit even at large tastings—but a) I don’t drive to those tastings, b) I do have a pretty high drug tolerance level and c) I take very, very small tastes, often dumping half the pour or more into the bucket.

I still scribble–with pen—and usually try to have a small notebook with me so that I don’t have to search for a table corner to write on. Agree with everyone who says “get out of the way” for the bulk of the note-taking part for each wine (I’ll jot down immediately if I’m asking the rep about vine age, clone, barrels, percentages of varieties and so forth)

Brig’s sheets are terrific—he’s one of the best at doing this IMHO.

One last tip. Don’t forget to enjoy yourself. I am never bummed if I end up missing 5 or 10 or 15 wines as long as I’ve enjoyed the experience on the whole.

Have fun!

Mike

Oh, and welcome to the board Xavier—enjoy the insanity!

Skimmed through the thread and suprised no one mentioned using a blue tooth device paired with phone. I have an older ear piece bluetooth single ear device (you can buy them at about $10 usd). When at an evet I keep in one ear and when I want to take notes I open m note pad hit the microphone button and speak my notes into my phone. allows me to take notes in between pours as well as in between booths/wineries/etc.
I suggest saving the note often to avoid data loss.
Any wines that truly impress me I snap a pic of label as well as a back up.
DO the same think at beer tastings as well.
Only drawback is if its very crowded/noisy you may get some background noise/words showing up in notes. When that starts to happen I cuff the earpiece with my hand decreasing its ability to pick up the noise.

Count me in as preferring white after red, though I will bounce back and forth. I find that order refreshing where white to red can get wearying - I vividly remember going to a massive French and Spanish trade tasting, saving the Priorats for last, and it felt like I was sucking on rope.

Also, it’s a lot to juggle, but I really like having my own pint-sized plastic spit cup. People love to camp out in front of the buckets.

Yes, helps to carry your own spit cup in crowded tastings. As far as white after red, when I get home from a big tasting, I have a glass of Champagne.

-Al

Agreed on the cup if you can manage it.

For me nothing tastes better after tasting a bunch of young red wine than beer. My palate always seems so thankful. Good, refreshing beer and not some over-hopped gimmicky IPA monstrosity.

Lots of my friends go for a beer after a tasting, my preference is for Champagne but probably similar effect.

-Al

So much great advice on this thread. I am not a big note taker but do use a four * system sometimes with brief notes/observations (young, needs time, old/new world, ect.) Definitely keep hydrated-I often drink the water I rinse the glass with. I do bring my own spit cup because it seems it is a 50/50 proposition that the event planners provide them. As a bonus I met Tom Hill at a Rhone Rangers tasting because of his distinctive spit cup [wow.gif]

Thanks for the additional comments on note-taking and order. Since some have asked (and I have failed to clarify), I’m not a wine writer so my notes would be really to 1. know what I want to buy and 2. for my own study.

My advice is to skip notes altogether. As you say, you’re just wanting to record things of interest for possible future purchase and enjoyment. Take pictures of the ones that stand out, this will save time, and make juggling things a lot easier.

After nearly 15 years of large events (every year I promise myself no more!!), I’ve got my systems down pretty well. This coming Saturday is Tre Bicchieri in Dusseldorf, followed by three days of ProWein Exhibitors by Countries/Regions -- ProWein Trade Fair. In an 8-hour day, I usually get to taste about 300-400, with a LOT of (small) breaks in between. In all my years at these events, I’ve seen just a few that step aside after the pour - I always do, as that’s just how I am, plus I like reducing the ‘noise’ and put my focus on the wine, not conversations, etc.

Following that, on the 24th, there’s Taste Alto Piemonte, in Novara TASTE ALTO PIEMONTE 2018 Biglietti, Sab, 24 mar 2018 alle 15:00 | Eventbrite, then back to my Langhe visits (where I am now, and have been since a month ago), until I get back on the road and head to Verona (and surround)

Then comes ViniVeri http://www.viniveri.net/, Vinnatur Producers - vinnatur.org, and finally VinItaly 404 - Vinitaly

A few weeks later I’ll be in Sicily for some events, but I wouldn’t call them large, regional is more like it. Le Contrade dell'Etna 2018, and probably Sicilia en Primeur in Palermo before flying back home (after a 10 day stop in Bordeaux).

The only two that I’d classify as ‘large’ would be ProWein, and VinItaly (thousands of producers, tens of thousands of wines at each), but it’s relative to one’s prior experiences.

Just go and enjoy yourself, save the study part for when you begin to open bottles. If you’re just getting into this, taste as widely as you can, find what speaks to you. Most of all, keep it fun [cheers.gif]

Oh, it FINALLY stopped raining here in Langhe - earlier, just after an appointment in Barbaresco area

I only pour at one event these days, and that is at the Bassin’s event in DC. They have not had it for 2 years now, but I believe they will start again with an improved format for 2019.

Doug, I have no idea what tastings you are going to where you need to “tune out the vast majority of pourers who will blab on and on about nothing.” Most of us are so busy answering valid inquiries, or re-connecting with long-time customers, that blabbing on and on is out of the question. If someone does not ask a question, I pour as I tell them what I am putting in their glass, and leave it at that.

I’m intrigued by those that take their own spit cup. What with glass, pad and pen (even with the glass holder around my neck) I’m short-handed. Where do you keep this personal spittoon?

As for pourer’s blurb, yes I’ve seen it, and was chuckling every time I neared one guy’s stand as he’d clearly learnt it off by heart as it was repeated word for word every time. Whilst I acknowlege his diligence in learning it, it doesn’t fill you with confidence that he knew what it was that he was saying. However on the whole, what Merrill describes is more in tune with my experiences, as often they are so busy, it’s as much to just confirm what wine the taster wanted to taste. As I said, the chances to chat are often reserved for the 1st half hour, or for more ‘under the radar’ producers where there is more opportunity (whilst still allowing others to get a pour / join in the conversation - standing to the side really does help both).

In my case I appreciate tastings that provide a spot to step back and sample the wines if they are worthy of writing a note. ZAP and Pinot Days at Fort Mason had wine barrels scattered about the tastings that allowed a spot to put your glass and spit cup down and write a note. I only take notes on wineries wines that have multiple wines I like or a really outstanding wine and those are very brief. The last major tasting I attended was the SF Chronicle tasting in January-no notes taken because no place to write them but I did bring my spit cup and remained (fairly) sober though out the event. I did have my spiral note book with me but it would just rude/inconvenient to try to take notes at the winery table as there were no spots to easily step back and write notes.

Maybe use a memo app on your phone and have a list of all the aspects of each wine that you want to comment on. There are a few apps that allow you to add voice notes to photos, so you could even snap the label and add your note to it.

Never been to a large tasting, but just an idea.

My experience has been that trying to use a phone is even more problematic that using a notebook and pen.

You can hold a notebook and glass in your left hand, store a pen in shirt pocket, and take notes when you can step to a place where you put down the spit cup. You may get a few wine stains in the notebook, probably harder and more significant consequences with a phone.

-Al

Agreed. I cannot imagine trying to tap out notes or anything on a phone during an event like that. Sounds like torture.

I see what you mean. Judging from this video of a previous iteration of the salon, space will be tight: Salon des vignerons indépendants Paris (Full HD) - YouTube

Approach table
Request taste
Step back
Taste wine
Spit
mark an UP arrow for something to follow up with, or DOWN arrow (pass)
Move to the right
Repeat

There is no typing/taping. You speak into the phone. It is a voice memo.

I can hold a small notebook, wine glass, and pen and take notes. Add a spit cup, I need to set the cup down. For me, I could manage a phone on record plus a wine glass and be equivalent to the former case. Add a spit cup, and I’d have to set it down or risk some spillage since the wine glass isn’t empty when the note taking starts. I also don’t fancy dictating notes in a crowded area with many conversations, but that’s a personal preference.

-Al

I ended up using a three-star system (with room for a fourth).

One star - this is good, and I would enjoy, but from a commercial perspective it has to either be a wine style I almost never see that I want to have (and even then…) or much cheaper than I am expecting. So probably not buying, but still pretty good.

Two star - A wine I had to stop and think about for a moment. I will need to consider what else in this style is also available, and compare pricing, but outside of a commercial context two stars is very enjoyable to taste, and I would have no qualms selling to a customer. Probably about 10% of what I taste at a good trade tasting. I sometimes buy, not not always.

Three star - “Hey, what’s this?” Something that grabbed me viscerally and then intellectually after stopping to reconsider. Something that is either rocking value after looking at the price (I try to taste first and assess, then look at $$ second to see the relationship between “What I would pay” and “What I will have to pay” turns out to be) or just so good I’m blown away. Less than 5% of what I taste. I usually buy.

Four stars - Probably one out of a thousand wines I try. Where QPR is just off the charts. I always buy.

This has been a very effective shorthand for me. I can look at my “stars” (really asterisks) and call up some sense memory of the wine.