Northern Rhone roundup

Great notes, Zach. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to tasting some Syrah with you soon.

Not much, and then a lot - it was consistently excellent from about 15 minutes after opening through to the next day.

I bought and drank through few 2018 Saint-Josephs - mostly they were big and ripe, blocky and burly. Broadly speaking, the vintages 2009 to 2017 all showed better on release, to me, both in promise and in immediate pleasure. The only 2018s I am cellaring at the moment are the remaining bottles of the Clusel-Roch and some Mickael Bourg Cornas that I have yet to receive.

The Clusel-Roch cuvée “Champon” is a new cuvée as of 2018. I bought these from Robert Panzer, who wrote the following helpfully on the wine: 2019 Clusel Roch Cote Rotie Champon – Down to Earth Wines. I will try the 2019 when it is available, out of fairness since I am not so sanguine about the 2018 vintage.

In as much as vintage generalizations can serve a purpose, I always come back to the details details details.
‘18s can be all over the place.
Benetiere Cordeloux clocks in at upper 12% alcohol and is freakin’ fantastic. Chewier and deeper than the '17, it likely won’t win as many fans out the chute than the gorgeous '17. But may win in the long haul.
You can also find '18 Cote Rotie at 15% alc, and with rough tannin, no less…
Sorrel Hermitage Classique ‘18 is 14+% alc, and is incredibly finessed and delicate, dare I say Burgundian.
I’m not sure how to reconcile my impressions and Josh Raynolds’ impressions of the '18 Clusel Champon with those of Zach’s (for whom I have great respect as a taster and Rhone fanatic). I’d say that my first question would be whether or not they bottled the “Paul” cask alone, or if they blended in other parts that I didn’t taste. I would then chalk it up to youthful tannic shutdown, encouraging patience. Wine will always have the last say…
Santé à tous

Am on the receiving end of a few 2017 Benetiere Cordeloux ( thanks, Greg) and happy to read the endorsement.

Will now tag Zach’s good notes above in case I come across these wines.

Thanks Robert. I’m hanging on to the rest of the Clusel-Roch, patiently, to see how it all turns out!

Am looking forward to our test run of that bottle for sure!

1 Like

Thanks! I think we’re overdue for another northern Rhône horizontal - and Racines is open again. :wink:

Great notes Zach. Thanks for posting in a consolidated place.

I have faith in the producers I generally buy, and I won’t be skipping (or downsizing) on the 18s - took down some Jamet, Chave, Sorrel, and Gonon already. Will not hesitate on Allemand, Graillot, Clape, or Benetiere once they’re offered.

Great notes thanks. Have yet to try any 18s though still buying most of my normal producers, maybe in lower quantity. Definitely up for a NYC rhone dinner…have some mags of the 06 levet.

Same. I’ll buy Barge, Gilles, Cuchet-Beliando and Benetiere following the same pattern. (Already bought Gallet, which I forgot to mention earlier.)

Mouthwatering notes! Thanks for sharing.

I almost won the '88 Guigal at auction recently but the price got out of control. Now I regret not going for it.

Have you tasted the 2018 Gallet yet?

Fat farmer!

Nope. I haven’t tasted my 2016s or 2017s either.

I still have a few fat farmers! I wish they’d go back to that label.

17 is solid. I’m not quite 94 pts like Keith L’s CT note, maybe a big muddier/grapier than I’d like right now, but it certainly isn’t hugely structured.

1 Like

HAHA, someone has been buying from Mannie Berk!

Awesome line-up, I know some of those wines. Your notes and impressions are impeccable. That 2012 Grippa is excellent, as is the burly 2006 Levet. These are such classic, old school N. Rhones.

You inspired me to go similarly “geeky” with an under-the-radar Cotie Rotie tonight, paired with pizza of all things as I just drove in from the beach.

2012 Domaine Joël Champet Côte-Rôtie La Viallière
Feral and gamey on the nose. Stem inclusion is palpable, think Levet. A truly classic CR, with saline, pepper spice, seared meats on the nose. An iron note that I’m digging. The wine has added heft since last time I tried it, less open than some other 2012 N. Rhones. This is still rather burly, chewy, rustic. Solid range of red to dark fruits, with the reds on the wild, brambly, tart side, finishing with a darker note. Faryan with the golden palate is always speaking about the Rhone Rule of 15, this one definitely needs it. Almost drinks more like a 2010. An utterly classic, backward, stoic Cote Rotie. I bought four, wish I had grabbed a full case. This wine has a long runway for continued improvement. I’m gonna leave 1/2 a bottle for tomorrow to see what evolves.
(94+ pts.).

87F708B6-CA79-4714-B627-85381B7A5429.jpeg

Great note! I need to get into Champet more - not enough experience with the wines.

And thanks for the nice words. But - I’ve never bought anything from Mannie Berk!

Fair enough. I bought 15, 16 and 17 Gallet’s after tasting the 2012 based on the Cote-Rotie under 100 thread. But i am not so sure about 2018 overall…