North Fork Wineries

We visited Anthony Nappa, Raphael and Lenz. Enjoyed the Old Vines Chardonnay and Merlot at Lenz. Raphael had several reds that were pretty good, especially the premium Merlot and Petit Verdot. The Long Island red wines were better than I expected. My only previous experiences with NYS reds have been the mostly undrinkable Finger Lakes offerings. We lollygagged a bit too much and ran short on time to visit Paumanok. Next time we are on the island, Paumanok and Macari will be on our list.

David, your offer to open a few bottles was quit gracious and appreciated. Perhaps we could meet when I am next in the area.

Cheers

It’s in Southold: https://www.onewomanwines.com/

We had the same issue with the wait. The terrace was nice, but the wines were lousy and the food reminded me of United Airlines’ tapas boxes. And there was only one small restroom for about 100 patrons.

Then you had better luck that we did at Raphael. It seemed to me it is really an event space that makes some wine to draw business. I couldn’t imagine buying any of the wines.

Sorry to be such a naysayer, but I really think the good wines out there are few and far between. I’d like to like it more, because it would be a nice day trip. I wish the Finger Lakes were closer to NYC because it seems there are many more interesting wines coming out of there.

Jeff: shd be pretty easy to tack on Macari to a visit at Paumonok, a short drive away…When we tried to taste at Raphael , they were closed to the public, they were hosting a wedding… Don’t give up on FL reds, Hearts and Hands pretty solid PN producer, Damiani worth a visit re Cab Sauv and Cab Fanc plus Merlot and PN…A number of other wineries starting to do nice things with Cab Franc…Will agree that primary focus up here is with the whites however…

John: thanks for the link…Can fit trip to One Woman in with our next visit to my cousin who lives out on the East End… or, we can taste their wines in Grand Central Station next month when wife and I will be in NYC. Will be in town for long weekend, daughter playing in a concert, hope to get in a few runs in Central Park and perhaps do some wine shopping while we are in town.

Re Finger Lakes, I have to believe you could have done better. Overall, I think their reds are better than LI even before you take price into account, unless you are a dyed in the wool Cabernet/Merlot drinker. I hope you are able to give FLX another chance. If you do, don’t miss Ravines, but there are many other good options. And if you do get there, focus on Cabernet Franc and Pinot Noir, and maybe some of the less mainstream varieties like Lemberger/Blaufrankisch.

As for any wine region I think its difficult to say that one is a better visit than another. For us winos it depends on which wineries you hit, what they are pouring on that day, what we like, and who you get to serve you on your visit. Wineries are a mixed bunch of businesses. Some are strictly focused on their vineyards and wine while others view events as their primary business driver. In many cases reserve, or expensive, wines are not poured to the general public. So it’s unlikely you will taste all the wines there are to taste at the tasting room. Not everything is spectacular on Long Island nor is it in the Finger Lakes. Both are great places to visit and worth doing your homework ahead of time to get the best experience for what you like most.

We have had enjoyable trips to both LI and FL. I think the wine is respectable, but you should go into the trips with tempered expectations. The best wines are pretty good, but there are a lot of mediocre, or worse, wines. I’d recommend visiting both regions, and we will likely go back to both areas. There are also cheese trails, micro-breweries and other things to do, besides solely focusing on wine.

Paumanok is good and the owner Charles Massoud, is a great guy. Channing Daughters makes good wine but both times I have tried to get there I have gotten lost both times, but without GPS.

Jay: I’ll leave bread crumbs for ya to follow the next time I visit Channing…Seriously, tho , I can understand your frustration, kinda small place and nothing jumps out at you…“Have been there and done that moment” for us was our first visit to Seghesio in Healdsburg, drove past it 3 times before we stopped to get our bearings and realized we were right in front of the place…and that was WITH GPS.

Regarding the FLX, I have tasted extensively, including the wineries mentioned here (Damiani, Ravines). Seems that the climate is just not conducive to producing red wine, but I’m no expert. I live in Rochester, so will continue to explore and sample the regional red wine offerings. It is a fun way to spend a dreary late fall or early spring day.

I’ve had some quite pleasant reds from Bloomer Creek and Eminence Road. Not blockbusters, but expressive and very good values. By contrast, the LI reds often seem quite generic and aren’t that cheap.

Bloomer Creek produces some very good Riesling. I have a few bottles of their Tanzen Dame Dry Riesling Barrow Vineyard Reserve. Last month we opened their 2013 Cabernet Franc. No one liked it and I could not remember why I purchased the bottle. An experience we have had many times with purchased FLX reds. After several tastes, my critical skills degrade and bottles find their way to the checkout counter. This is the reason for my strict rule: no online wine purchasing while wine drinking.

In terms of QPR at Paumanok for reds, I do think the Cab Franc comes closest to fitting the bill. And have has some blends (Assemblage ) that are close . I do think there’s value in many of the white varieties .

Jeff - Have you gone across the border into Ontario to try the wines in Beamsville Bench and the surrounding areas? If not you might give them a try sometime as I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the winemaking quality.

Gary - have not been to Ontario for many years. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lieb Cellars puts out a wonderful Pinot Blanc, and the rest of the lineup is solid. The have a 2nd label-of-sorts with Bridge Lane. A great value for LI table wine.

Lieb Cellars and Shinn Estates are my favorites. I also think the Merlot from Macari is quite a nice wine (goes great with any pizza or pasta at Grana in Jamesport (and they have it on the menu too). Paumanok is gorgeous and a worthwhile trip - the wines are hit or miss but generally good+.

Nice recent article about North Fork winemakers. … The evolution of Long Island winemaking . The highlighted winemakers are the ones I think delivery on quality wines year in and out.

thanks for sharing , Gary