North Fork Bachelorette Party Ends In Tragedy

This morning it was reported that the bride-to-be is fighting for her life.

I’m not sure where politics come into play with the antipathy toward “personal injury lawyers” since the negative slang term in more appropriate. As someone who has been sued on a slip and fall BS claim only to see the insurance company cave, I am pretty comfortable in my opinions.

Terrible tragedy on that we can agree.

JD

For those interested, there was a development yesterday in the investigation that may change the perception of what happened in this tragedy.

The limo driver, who was making a legal turn, nevertheless said that he never saw the pickup truck that hit his car. But the only eyewitness to come forward so far said that the limo driver turned directly into the path of the truck. From the Newsday story:

"[The limo driver] told police he saw no oncoming traffic when he made the turn, but [District Attorney Thomas] Spota said an eastbound driver saw the pickup truck before the limo started turning. ‘He said the limo was turning right in front of the truck,’ Spota said.

“Police say Romeo [the pickup-truck driver] hit the brakes, but not soon enough to avoid the crash.”

As an aside, I am a part-time resident of the area. The number of fatal traffic accidents on the North Fork is appalling but the municipalities seem dead-set against installing traditional red-yellow-green traffic signals at even the most dangerous locations. There are far too many uncontrolled intersections and intersections with inadequate control, and this applies to the entire stretch from Riverhead to Greenport.

Yes, by all means you should generalize about all individuals in a profession based upon your experience with one incident.

We once had an excellent dentist who, in the midst of my wife’s cleaning began making racist and homophobic remarks. We got a new dentist right away, but I don’t hate dentists as a group.

If you look at the intersection in Street View, it’s difficult to see that the limo driver wasn’t at least partially at fault. The road is two lanes in each direction separated by a median with additional left turn lanes at intersections. The limo apparently left the winery, headed NE about 800 feet to the next intersection where he could make a U-turn to head in the opposite direction. If the pickup driver was drunk and/or speeding, it would affect his ability to react but, especially since they were t-boned, it seems that the limo driver should have let the pickup pass.

As far as liability for the winery, difficult to see unless they were serving the limo driver or provided the limo service.

-Al

Far from my only experience, thank you. If one is in retail long enough (thankfully I’m out out after 27 years) they eventually understand. I’m not damning the whole profession or even all plaintiff’s attorneys, either. Everyone knows the type of attorney that was being referenced. And its been years and I’m still pissed that the insurance rolled over-and they’re part of the problem, too.

JD

I was thinking the same thing when I read the article.

story hits home, my wife was three of three young ladies teacher when they were in grade school. I have no additional info or knowledge aside from what has been reported.
I have been on the road numerous times and I never attempt u turns. There are so many driveways a lot with parking lots to turn in to (most of the winereis, farms and businesses have parking lots).
Sucks—