Noel Verset Cornas

Back when it was freely available I considered Verset and Allemand as the two best producers in the N. Rhone along with pre-1999 Chave

Very different styles though with Verset more rustic and Allemand more refined. I loved, loved, loved them both.

Personally I don’t think it’s worth current pricing unless you absolutely have to try it. I’ve been talked out of selling my last bottle on two occasions but I might sneak it out when none of my friends are around :slight_smile:

85 being my birth year, might have to take up on your offer and book my flight!

1 Like

N Verset makes a fine Cornas, but is it worth a premium to chase the unicorn?
Dunno. I cut my teeth in Cornas with the late 1980’s bottles and 1991. Sure they were good, but Cornas was a rustic trip back then and Verset was as rustic as the rest of them.

1 Like

I can sneak along a bottle or 2.

When supply stops, you start paying for history. If you are not making a ton of money i guess it rarely makes sense. I have not tasted Noel’s wines, but i have tasted Gentaz Dervieux. Was it good? Yes. Is it worth the money at current prices? Far from it.

Certainly today, Gentaz wines are well past their prime, as he retired in the 80s, as I recall.

I used to buy Noel Verset when he was making wine, more feral style compared to most of the current producers. Loved the wines but, at this point, you’re buying the rarity as much as the wine (as with other gone labels like Trollat, Truchot, etc.). I last had the 1999 about 10 years ago, just a touch of brett but bloody magnificent.

-Al

Which is exactly why I have always favored Cornas in the Northern Rhône.

retired in the early 90s and as of a few years ago the late-80s wines were ethereal. “well past their prime” is simply ludicrous.

1 Like

I assume you were tasting these well before I started, at the same shop. The 99 always seemed to have a pickle juice note on it for me that wasn’t quite right. But I have found that in 99 Chave as well.

I’ve only had three bottles, but the feral note is what hits and sells me. Same reason I love Levet. Well, I shouldn’t say “sells me” as I have not bought at these current prices. I’m much happier backfilling on Allemand at 1/2 the price, granted these are more current vintages, like 2013.

See the storage temperature thread [wow.gif]

I didn’t try, for example, 90 Verset, at or near release, but if the ground up dead rodent of young Levet magically transforms into the ethereal spice box note of 90 Verset today, 30 years from now, that will be good :wink:

1 Like

It had a touch of green and hint of VA, but was still great.

Yes, I tasted and bought the Verset at that same shop. I think I may have a bottle of 1985 and 1989.

-Al

Absolutely love Levet as well. Robert, I presume Verset bottles you had weren’t as feral/wild as Levet?

agree with you 100%, had 88 and 89 late last year and they all still had plenty of runaway on them and were incredible.

I would predicted you would like Noel Verset’s Cornas, they definitely hang out in your part of the playground. Mine, too.

-Al

1 Like

Ugh, this is just making it harder for me to let it go and forget about it.

Mike,

Maybe some good questions for us to ask of you at this point are these:

At current pricing, what are your hopes, and more importantly - your expectations -, if you were to buy a bottle to try?

On what order of magnitude would a purchase be beyond your normal spend? your “splurge” spend? your all-time high spend?

Is No. Rhone and/or Cornas your favorite region/appellation?

If you don’t buy a bottle of Verset, what will you buy instead?

Tasted an 1988, i think it was, in early 2019. It was very much alive and i think it would still drink fine now.