No NYE Thread? Post your wines here.

95 La Louviere very good but still very young

Happy new year Brian. '95 Bordeaux is so slooooooowww to mature.

Some really nice starters

• Krug NV Rose
  • Billecart Salmon Brut Rose

Couple of Rieslings with the sushi

• 1998 Kruger-Rumpf Dautenpflanzer Spatlese
  • 2012 JJ Prum Kabinett Gracher Himmelreich

Then on to some main course wines

• 2001 Hundred Acre Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 1990 Lous Jadot Clos des Couchereaux

Followed by a mix of a few other, non-descript things.

So I found! I bought a few of these after Salil’s tasting and will bury the rest. Happy new year to you guys too!

Wow!

One of the best wine nights I can recall… Everybody happened to grab great bottles.

NV Selosse “Substance”
1998 Dom Perignon
1998 Leroy Nuis St George Aux Allots
2006 Frederic Magnien Charmes Chambertin
2007 DRC Romanee St. Vivant
2006 Francois Bertheau Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuse
2007 Ponsot Clos de la Roche
1994 Chave Hermitage (Out of Magnum)

NV Overnoy-Crinquand Cremant du Jura Rose
2005 Rossignol Volnay

The cremant wasn’t nearly as interesting as an earlier bottling I had; very primary, fruity and slightly off-dry. Back to Champagne for me next year.

The Rossignol Volnay more than made up for it, exceeding expectations. There was another thread on Rossignol recently discussing modern vs traditional vinification. This seemed quite modern to me on release, forward with plush texture and tannis, and quickly shut down like many / most good 2005s. Only now just starting to emerge, color distinctly orange but the wine very fresh and lively, took an hour or two to come around, expressive and just lovely. Still years before it peaks. Yum. (Perfect with mushroom-Neuskes risotto from homemade stock and demiglace.)

image.jpg
Some Mags with friends, and a couple 750s.
2012 Clos Solene Hommage Blanc
2008 Saxum JBV
2005 SQN Atlantis Syrah
2007 Saxum Bone Rock
1977 Graham’s

1971 Champagne Pol Roger
1979 Champagne Bollinger RD Extra Brut
1996 Champagne Dom Pérignon Oenothèque
1996 Meursault-Perrières Domaine des Comtes Lafon
1899 Nuits Saint-Georges (origin not readable)
2000 Romanée Conti DRC
1937 Chateau Gilette Crème de Tête
1914 Rivesaltes Henri Sauvy

My ranking : 1 – Nuits-Saint-Georges 1899, 2 – Romanée Conti 2000, 3 – Champagne Dom Pérignon Œnothèque 1996, 4 - Château Gilette Crème de Tête 1937, 5 - Meursault-Perrières Domaine des Comtes Lafon 1996.

The NSG was so good that it is surely a pre-phylloxeric wine. Wine with eternity.
Paired with the Romanée Conti 2000 it was more than a dream, an unforgettable moment of my life.

2012 Schrader LPV and RBS.
Very good and even better with ribeye.

Taittinger “La Francaise” Brut Champagne and 1995 Chateau Montelena Estate Cab. The champagne was excellent and the Montelena was awesome. Shared with friends on our block during a (for Northern California) very cold winter night.

Thanks,
Ed

Ruinart Brut Rose
04 Lail Vineyards ‘Blueprint’

2004 Dom Perignon
2004 Colgin Cariad
2010 Dunn Howell
2010 Shafer Hillside Select
2009 Yao Ming Cab

2002 Salon
NV Krug GC
NV Dom Ruinart
96 Dom Perignon Oeno

I know Bruce took some notes so he may remember a bunch of the wines that I didn’t take note of, esp. the still whites. The Reds were the stars for me as usual on another great NYE with the usuals at the Von Bancks. Bubbly wise, I know we had 02 Bollinger RD, 02 Dom, and 96 Duval Leroy.

Reds:
90 and 00 Tropolong Mondot
00 and 04 Peby Faugeres
88 Beaucastel
01 Guigal Ex Voto
04 Guigal La Turque
95 Grange
07 Saxum James Berry
2010 Dominus
94 Zind Humbrecht Pinot Blanc Windsbuhl
I was too toasted to note the vintage of the Laflaurie Peyraguey or what the second Sauternes was.
I guess the 90 Tropolong was the consensus winner but there was a lot of great wine. I think I put the Saxum and the Guigal La Turque right up there too but different people liked different things.

Lots of great food accompanied the wine. Denis and Tiffany turned out smoked salmon and foie terrine appetizers, a trio of crudos as a first, boeuf bourguignon, a huge cheese tray, and a Paris-Brest dessert. It required a dose of Alleve and Pepcid at bedtime and aspirin at 5am. I was infinitely happy to be übered home. We went to a New Year’s Day party and the half glass of wine I had didn’t even taste good so I went for an Aperol Spritz.

2013 Liquid Farm White Hill
1996 Forman Cabernet

Bravo, Francois; happy new year.

Krug Grand Cuvee “Savoir Faire”
Selosse Initiale

Both excellent, although Selosse needed its usual hour plus to blossom.

1996 Krug Clos d’Ambonnay
1993 Vogue Chambolle 1er

But how did you open your champers?