NJ to Paris - better flight options for first timer

Absolutely agree with this. I’ve written before about the Paris bus system. It is my favorite method of transportation in central Paris. Mostly, I walk when I can. If I can’t/won’t, I’ll take a bus, except for long distance cross-town travel at rush hour. Paris seems much smaller above ground; the Metro distorts my sense of distance. Use the RATP app for buses and Metro/RER. It has vastly improved over the past several years, especially its mapping functionality.

For Normandy, should we look to avoid D-day and look to go another day, or would it be even more special?

Avoid if you wish self-reflection. Go if you wish to meet any remaining D-Day combatants.

At Versailles I highly recommend lunch at Ore. Yes it’s not cheap but the food is quite good and it’s just a lovely spot to relax. Also do make sure you get the guided tour of the king’s apartments

Re taxis in Paris I respectfully disagree; taxis get access to special lanes going east/west along the Seine, and that can be a lifesaver at peak time. Also I carry cash in Paris so that payment is less of an issue

Also I’d suggest David Toutain for dinner in Paris. It’s amazing food, and the atmosphere’s nice and casual (like SF). Email them in English for a reservation

One HUGE aspect to eating at Or at Versailles is that if you have your tickets, they sneak you in at the head of the line if you ask (nudge, nudge, wink, wink.) We did it after breakfast which was delicious and very reasonably priced given Ducasse and Versailles, and saved at least an hour’s waiting.

As others have mentioned you’re near the Comptoirs which is great. You’re also right near Notre Dame which you probably don’t want to walk up with any back problems but which is still worth a visit to see from outside. After that you can walk to Ile St. Louis to get ice cream at Berthillon.

If you’re in the mood for pastry you’re a moderate walk or a short metro trip (2 stops from Odeon to Saint Sulpice)) to Pierre Herme which is then not far from the Luxembourg Gardens which are worth a trip and the Luxembourg Museum which is small enough to do in a short visit. When we visited they were showing an artist I had never heard of before, Fantin-Latour, but whose paintings we enjoyed very much.

If I had to choose one museum to spend time in it would probably be Musee d’Orsay. If you like Impressionist paintings it’s a must visit. Again a short metro trip. One stop from St. Michel Notre Dame to Musee d’Orsay.

Enjoy!