Next Bedrock Release (November 11)

My reaction to the “save the date” email was the same as a poster above … ‘But I thought I was done for 2014?’ But I forgot Bedrock makes soooo much good wine. Even still, out of room (per usual) and having already spent more than planned (ditto) on wine for the year, I saw the email and thought, ‘I’ll go small this time. Keep it to a case. I’ve got enough.’

And then Morgan posts the list … And it’s all, ‘Need. Want. Gotta try.’ I was actually a big fan of Ramey’s Shanel vineyard, so can’t wait to see what Morgan’s done with the same grapes. And definitely intrigued by the new heritage blend, as well as a one-off Zin and the Ode to Lulu spin off.

Yeah, no way I’m keeping this to a case. No way. Heck, I’ll be doing better than year’s past if I keep my North Coast order alone – bar none the best Cal Syrah QPR out there, I think (just had the second-to-last of my 2010s last night, actually) – to a single case.

Bedrock: great wines and tons of 'em = The great enabler. neener

Hey Morgan…

When I saw the note I puzzled over the “red counterpart to the popular Ode to Lulu” and wondered if it meant you made a Bandol-styled red Mourvedre. This is something I thought I’d never see given the number of years you resisted making a red from the Mourvedre block at Bedrock. I’m so excited to try this one!

If you have the time and inclination, can you get into what specifically models each of these after each of the LaLas? (besides aspects and clones). Do you have different soils that mimic the Cote Brune and Cote Blonde? Or is it just the flavors that drive the comparison?

Interestingly while I’m sitting here wondering if Weill has a mix of red and white soils it occurred to me that I can think of one Syrah vineyard that absolutely does.

Definitely this release was going to hurt because I was also patting myself on the back for being completely done buying wine for the year, but yeah there’s pretty much zero chance I pass on these.

This three times a year thing is tough. Not my favorite model, but forgivable since the wines are so good even setting aside the excellent value. I need to start showing more restraint on number of bottles from any one release, knowing that there’s another release coming in a few months. And then I always get caught in the trap of thinking what if one particular bottling is astoundingly great and I only ordered one.

All I can say is WOW flirtysmile sounds like an amazing release!

That’s the real kicker, ain’t it? You just hate to be wrong on the low side when the wines are such good QPRs.

So I am still resisting making a red Mourvedre from Bedrock but mainly that is because we sell most of that fruit to Carlisle, Wind Gap and Rudius and no not want to pull the fruit as they all do a really good job with it. The Mourvedre for Ode to Lucien comes from Evangelho Vineyard, where the sandy soils make for really distinct Mourvedre. The Grenache and Syrah elements come from the ancient vines up at Gibson Ranch in Mendocino. It has been sitting in a four year old 600 gallon foudre.

As for the LaLa inspired wines though the soils are a bit different it is really a function of whole-cluster, viognier percentage, and the generally long time in barrel. One of the wines is 100% whole cluster, another is roughly 50% whole cluster with 8% Viognier cofermented, and another is about 10% whole cluster and 16% cofermented Viognier. The whole cluster comes from an incredibly steep block facing due east, the middle cuvee comes from a southward facing block, and the mucho-Viognier wine comes from a southwest facing slope of particularly structured clone 877.

Morgan,
Any idea on quantities of these wines (ie: what is really limited/small production)??? Or is that something you will mention when the release comes?

Dan

Ode to Lucien… wow. Looking forward to that one. Love Bandol style reds.

North Coast Syrah is certainly the largest in production as we like to have some of that wine to get out into the market, that said we also do our best to make sure the best price will be from the winery. The rest of them range between 3-12 barrels each which means that very few will likely be available to distribution or hit the secondary market- maybe a trace of Monte Rosso or Kirschenmann but not much.

Very cool, thanks Morgan. Can’t wait to try all these! The Syrah experiment reminds me in spirit of the 2008 Hudson “3 ways” which I’ve been thinking maybe time to do a comparison tasting. These are the only 2008s I haven’t touched.

For the Mourvedre, one can’t argue with Mike and Pax getting all the grapes they want, nor with the grapes from Evanghelo. Here’s some eye candy - a Mourvedre vine at Evanghelo:

[resizeableimage=1042,709]http://tempered-light.com/images2/_DSC5012.jpg[/resizeableimage]

We here in the Southland are salivating over the orders we have not yet received. According to Morgan, when it cools off here, we get our wine. When hell cools off may be sooner.

[head-bang.gif]

I hesitate to place an order when a previous one is pending, but I’ll probably spring for Kirschenmann no matter what. Monte Rosso is also begging to be ordered.
Hopefully Bucklin first and then some Bedrock.

I am excited about the Weill 3-pack since I love wines from Cote Rotie. I just hope I am allocated at least one

Of course, 2 or 3 would even be better

[snort.gif]

I was wondering if you had lost the Karatas. Love it very much. flirtysmile
Why have you held on to it so long?

Morgan,
When will we see the next edition of Lachryma Montis? flirtysmile flirtysmile

Hey Morgan,

Please please please just don’t ship again right after Thanksgiving. That HAD to have gone poorly last year. Busy time of the year to ship. Heck even I had to get after the Sr. manager at FedEx! Please let Vinfillment know that was bad timing.

Winter release shipments will go out December 8th, weather pending. Definitely learned our lesson on the post thanksgiving shipping.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. There are few material things that do not engage my decision making abilities. Bedrock is one, fortunately I suppose.