Newsom orders all California wineries to close

By all forecasts I’m seeing it won’t (get better by summer). Folks should be thinking about how to get through the next year of virus related changes.

Update - NVV just sent us an update and confirmed that winery production is not included in the order. Good news.

re the medical, I believe it’s recommended and not mandatory.

I think the issue is that they don’t want to risk spreading the Coronavirus and having a bunch of people get sick and possibly die.

Deaths have been reported for healthcare workers in the 40s so unfortunately all healthcare workers are at high risk.

Protect employees and customers, are you really that dense?

That dodges the point. The death rates go up drastically for all people 65+ who contract the virus.

Health care workers are always at a higher risk than the general public simply due to exposure. Thus it would seem prudent to not combine the risk factors when one has proven to be extreme.

It’s not that simple:

Over half of France’s 300 coronavirus ICU patients under age 60

Hey folks,

Not a moderator here but perhaps you should take this off of WineTalk and put it elsewhere. The original OP is very important and impacts this board from a wine perspective - let’s keep the discussion going that way . . .

Cheers.

Ah, WineBerserkers. Come for the debates over whether CA wines are overrated, stay for the pandemic policy opinions.

This is a wine thread, not Facebook.

None of this makes any sense if you try to analyze it from a ludicrously naive & trusting Normie-cuck point of view.

You gotta delve into some dark black cynicism in order for this catastrophe to start making sense.

#threadkiller [wink.gif]

Apparently I am because I don’t have the brilliance to grasp that they’re protecting customers and employees by shutting down a wine store that is never jammed with people and offers nothing to be consumed on the premises, yet they leave open office supply stores and Hallmark card shops that have similar numbers of customers at any given time. And why not barbers and hairdressers and nail salons?

Again, if Chambers took the initiative on their own, that’s their business.

We have our second round of tourists in the store after they spent all day trying to find an open tasting room. The first group bought a Paso wine for $16. They are lucky they didn’t find an open winery and discover tasting fees. This last one just wants a glass of wine from Napa and be able to sit and enjoy a cigar in the lounge. Obviously not true wine snobs, but it does show some of the impact to those that don’t know what they flew into for vacation.

Good article this morning from Blake Gray on the confusion over California Governor Newsom’s wording on his recent winery / tasting room shutdown order.
Concern Over California Wine Closedown

In much of the San Francisco Bay Area the confusion from that order is now a moot point since a number of Bay Area counties are under a stricter shelter-in-place as of today, so all “non-essential” businesses are shut down for the time being, probably for three weeks but that could be extended. I was scheduled to help out on two bottling days this week that are now on hold. Initially Napa and Sonoma counties were not included but I’ve been reading that Sonoma may take part in the shelter-in-place directive soon.

Yes, Newsom’s language was vague, and finally could be interpreted as “suggestions”. But as Ken said, for 6 counties (including Marin to the north), it is “shelter in place”, which should mean that nobody should be going to work, no restaurants, no IPAs in the bars… Shopping still allowed.

Still does not seem quite as severe as in France, where my colleague told me they are not allowed out of the house without the right paperwork…

Restaurants in the Bay Area shelter-in-place counties are still allowed to operate, but only for take-out or delivery. I’m sure a lot of things remain to be clarified as to which businesses can stay open and which ones can’t.

Some in may area were looking at this as a ‘suggestion’ even though he ‘directed’ all tasting rooms to close. I hope everyone can truly understand the intent here . . .

Cheers

Yes, that is true. My workplace is shut down hard, but my daughter is still being required to go to work at a clinic. I am tempted by the takeout options–could use a good Bistecca tonight…