NEWBIE INTRO: Di Costanzo Wines

Last year I did a comparison between the Realm Farella and the Di Costanzo Farella, and the Di Costanzo was more elegant and polished, as well as more restrained, IMO. So, if I had to describe it, it would be new-world winemaking in an old-world style.

For the record, I personally enjoyed the Di Costanzo one better, so I stopped buying the Realm (even though I still buy their other wines!) [cheers.gif]

That’s helpful Frank. Thanks.

Looking forward to this offer Erin. I miss seeing you at that top Napa wine retail shop every Thursday. Welcome to Berserker Day!

Thanks Neal and thanks Frank for chiming in…

Neal, I agree with and appreciate Galloni’s kind descriptions of our '18 Farella. Having tasted that wine two days ago, I would agree with explosive, in that the wine is deeply layered and dimensional, packing a punch in terms of depth of flavor, if not necessarily in terms of breadth and palate weight. And as a young wine, the '18 does show some pleasing plushiness. But overall, we like to think of our wines as having some points in common with Barolo, as well as Bordeaux, drawing a parallel to those Piedmont wines that exhibit power, dimension, ageability and structure without necessarily being weighty or broad on the palate. Finding that energy and tension between the fruit, the acid and the tannin is our goal. They are still California Cabernets, no doubt, but we hope to achieve a style that shows a nod to the wider world of wine. TL;DR, the intended style is Goldilocks. Not too big, not too lean, just right :slight_smile:

Sounds great, and excited to try these.

Can anyone offer thoughts on agreeability or drinking window? (I have checked CT, but curious if there are any specific opinions.)
Better still, Erin, what do you recommend?
Thank you!

Does anyone know what wine they’re offering for BD11? neener

Mark, I will be terribly diplomatic and unhelpful when I tell you that I have greatly enjoyed every bottle of DI CO and Di Costanzo I’ve opened … and yet each one has been opened too soon. All of them are agers. Not to say that with a decant and a meal, I haven’t derived immense pleasure from the wines. And, again seeing the DI CO BTG at places like EMP & TFL (LOL) does signify that I am not the only one who likes how they show now, in their relative youth. And recent wine dinners pouring the 2013 and 2014 have been really satisfying. But short answer, age age age. Might have been a typo in your original post, but I’d say both agreeable and ageable :wink:

1 Like

Music to my ears in every way!

Great to hear they are (ahem)… agreeable… at any age, and even better with age! I am sold!

Big jerk right here!

Regardless of what it is, I can’t wait for this offer!

I opened a 2013 last week and it was gorgeous. Deep fruit supported by good structure. I had a small remaining glass 2 days later and it was even prettier. I opened my first bottle about 3 years ago, and it showed better on the second day. I agree, age age age. I will do that with my last bottle.