NEWBIE INTRO: Beau Rivage Cellars

We went through a case of this last summer in no time on the recommendation of a board member. It is loaded with minerals and hits all the right notes with balance and mouthfeel, definitely power without weight. It is also contemplative enough alone and a great food wine.

1 Like

Thank you!!

So fun to see you here, William & Frank!

1 Like

Thanks, Erin! Miss tasting your wines… will have to remedy that soon.

A few of us tried and commented on the 2017 Beau Rivage on this thread from last April, perhaps of interest:

While I am a Loire fan generally, this is one of the best Chenin Blancs that I have had out of California, and it’s arguably one of the better white QPRs that I have seen recently. I have been a repeat customer, and fan, and over the last month have had the chance to enjoy full bottles of all three vintages with my wife and some excellent fresh fish dinners. The 2017 has actually improved since I noted on it in the linked thread. It’s a gorgeous white. The 2019 drinks rather similarly, but if anything, just a bit more rich and has more mouthfeel. It’s a point or two better in my book. The 2018 is a taut, more linear wine with bracing acids, clocking in at like 11.5%. In terms of my personal satisfaction, I place quality in this order: 2019, 2017 and then 2018. I bought a mixed case recently, and intend to buy more. The first 6-pack I bought disappeared in no time flat.

Pretty cool that a wine writer takes on a project like this. Turns the tables on the critic. I can imagine that it also makes the critic a better wine writer overall, and perhaps the opposite is true as well.

I do not know what the actual BD offer is, but this is an easy case purchase. The mixed case is fun to see the vintage differences. The wine is excellent, and just a silly value for regular dinking and enjoyment.

1 Like

Well if Kenny likes it I better pick some up to try! Not bagging on Alferts palate but you know that whole outhouse in the Loire thing [wink.gif]

1 Like

Hahahaha. Paging Alfert to the back of the bus!

Thanks indeed, Alfert!

You know, it’s funny, but based on how the 2018 shows on day two or day three, I could see it ending up as the best of the bunch age ten… but time will tell, the 2019 and 2017 are certainly stylistically closer, that’s for sure. In any case, it is gratifying to see that there is very meaningful vintage variation, which certainly keeps things interesting.

No one asked about future projects for this label, but in case they were curious we are contemplating a few, such as a Cotat-styled Pinot Noir Rosé; a one- or two-barrel micro-cuvée of old vine Chardonnay in homage to JF Coche, made using a few ideas I have picked up over the last couple of years in Burgundy that may or may not translate in California; and maybe a Carignan-based red—though given Sandlands does such a good job with that grape the prospect it a little daunting.

1 Like

LOL, who the heck do you think recommended it to dirtbag Kenny-boy!? I think he was drinking Caymus Conundrum with his prized, frozen Codfish.

mmmmmmmm … color me curious. :slight_smile: [cheers.gif]

Purchased six bottles last spring…and blew through them. Knew I should have bought more. For me, the 2017 was almost the “perfect” food wine…low alcohol, no noticeable oak, but weight from barrel fermentation. I loved the acid/tart fruit balance and just a hint of wild ass funk. I rated it a 92 and found it perfect for summer patio dining.

1 Like

I’d be much more impressed if you made the “unicorny” Cotat rouge! A killer wine.

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Might need you to send me some of those famous Florida oranges…

Without giving away too much information…can you tell us what vintages you will be offering on BerserkerDay?

I checked with Todd, who says that I can disclose that it’s the 2017, 2018 and 2019 vintages.

Thanks for your interest!

This sounds wonderful — excited to order a few bottles!

1 Like

This sounds great, interested to try.

I’d like to say I was the one who “discovered” this wine! [wow.gif] First TN in CT…gone through almost 2 cases now!

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2700101#p2700101

“Cotat like Rose’”… flirtysmile

1 Like

Thank you for the support Brian!

Ever since the zoom with William I read all his posts as if he’s speaking then. My English accent is way better in my head!

1 Like