New York/New Jersey October 9, 2022, Metlife Stadium, Sine Qua Non and Saxum and Pol Roger Churchill

I have written this a few times so I am tired of custom writing the invitation, so I will just cross-post from the SQN forum on Facebook. You will get the point.

Now it’s time to get serious. I am rounding the clubhouse turn and heading for home on my chemotherapy treatments, having completed 15 out of 16 infusions. The last one is next Monday, plus I have 10 days of poison pills left. Assuming that my doctor finds nothing out of the ordinary on September 12, (everything was fine this past Monday), I will be free from alcohol jail after that.

Combine that with the fact that my birthday is September 15; I am a season’s ticketholder for the New York Jets; I have been on the SQN mailing was for 12 years; and I have been on the Saxum mailing list for 18 years. I have decided to host a kick ass tailgate party at the Jets/Dolphins game, which is at MetLife stadium at 1:00 PM on Sunday, October 9. Anyone who wants to come is invited.

The theme will be Squish the Fish, so we will be serving fish and seafood, along with white wine. I plan to bring a SQN Distenta #1 and a Saxum James Berry Vineyard white along with a 2006 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill. My backup will be the 2011 PYCM Puligny-Montrachet Les Champs Gains. The food menu will change 3 times a day between now and the game, but my current thinking is Seared Tuna with Wasabi, Cajun shrimp etouffee and either Zaruzella or Bouillabaisse with clams, scallops, muscles, lobster and a meaty white fish. If it is cold (unlikely), I will make clam chowder. EVERYTHING is cooked fresh in the parking lot! We will start cooking between 9:30 and 10 am.

The price of admission is simply to bring something that you would be proud to share with others. No judgments, but if you bring Bogle, it might flavor the Bouillabaisse. If you want to go to the game, you’ll have to get your own ticket, but I suspect that there will be a lot of them available on StubHub. Attendance at the game is not required, but I will pack up all of the cooking equipment and finish the tailgate no later than 12:45 PM.

If you want to attend, please send me a message. If you want to bring food, just let me know what it is so that I can stage the cooking. Red meat and red wine are not banned. If you want to bring Flannery hanger steaks or other good Flannery, just let me know. Lobels or LaFreida are also acceptable. If someone brings that, I will add a Saxum Red Magnum with at least 10 years of age on it. Not sure which one because the database is a mess, but Bone Rock James Berry 09, 10 or 11 should be available.

I will bring lots of wine glasses, but if you are driving to the game, it might be helpful if you bring a box of glasses. NO ZALTOS – it can get windy sometime and I do not want anyone to waste any SQN.

If you want to know whether we can pull the off, just Google “Jet’s Tailgater Fine Wine.”

2 Likes

Hi Jay, I think I may be interested, i’ll send you a message!

Bumpity bump bump. I have added French fries and either fried fish or fried chicken nuggets to the menu at the request of my grandson, which will keep any other kids happy who you drag along.