New York City Restaurants

2nd meal at foxface last night

1. kangaroo - repeat dish but still interesting
  2. fluke - tons of garlic and oil but very very good
  3. squid dish ( i think)…just okay
  4. One of the pastas which was very good

theodora last night was…fine. certainly not worthy of the hype. i think theyre trying to recreate the barbary in london but the food falls short. the open grill made us reek of smoke like we came from a bbq joint. service was a bit unpolished but competent enough.

the breads were solid. we had the wood fired beets, kubaneh, roasted sweet potatoes, trout with spring salad and the octopus. most of the dishes seemed smaller than i expected. wine list had the typical natural wine greatest hits (gut oggau, envinate, cornelissen) but they were presented in a booklet that was so word-y and hard to decipher, i sort of gave up and ordered some mezcal.

i doubt id return.

1 Like

That’s a bummer as I loved The Barbary.

1 Like

Checked on Demo last night, was lucky to grab a seat at the bar around 6pm. Only stayed for 45 minutes, but will return. A friend jokingly claimed they think corked wine is just a form of reduction, but talking with the bartender I was able to find a textured chenin blanc from Nicolas Carmarans. Will go back to sit in the cozy dinning room soon.

3 Likes

Any opinions on the Victoria Blamey and Danny Garcia drama? Does a chef recognize collaboration on dishes or does a dish belong to the chef that created it?

For context

I think the whole thing is crazy, especially given the setting and nature of Top Chef as a competition. I’ve never seen it implied anywhere that every dish on Top Chef has to be an original creation or is owned by that chef. The only stipulation is that you have to make a dish within the guidelines of the challenge in front of you. even just in this season, they did a Supper Club challenge where they ate at a supper club first, and then emulated its dishes. imagine if the owners of the supper club (who were judging) disqualified a contestant because they made a fried fish too? its ridiculous.

this is not even to mention that they created the dish together anyways, and that she’s given him credit for it in the past.

now, in an actual restaurant setting, I get it. You want people to come to your restaurant because your dishes are original and they cant get it anywhere else. you dont want another place across town doing the same thing. thats different.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed Supper Club by Le Petite Parisien on thr UES. A little bakery that turns itself into a little dinner restaurant in the evening. Very hole-in-the-wall. Think rickety chairs in a cafe with mood lighting, by an owner trying to make it. The food was great. I felt like I was in Paris! $25 corkage. I am not hyping this up as it would not meet any hyped expectations (eg the owner is Greek and the chef is American). But I felt worth mentioning. We walked in and brought our own glasses.

4 Likes

some recent visits
roscioli
they started saturday lunch so it was easy to get in. 3 course price fix. my tuna, artichoke, and pasta dish were all excellent recreations of roman food. i liked the bustle of eating in the “store” and all in all good energy from the space and staff. i will definitely return.
four horsemen
i really don’t get to brooklyn enough. i wish i could be a regular here. the white asparagus with horseradish cream, the snap pea salad, and the grilled calamari were ridiculously good. grilled calamari is something i find rarely excels to heights like that but i keep searching (i found it here, finally)
the wine list is amazing but i was alone so kept to btg. even so, the selection was great. in particular was a etna rosso that was so light in color and texture it was great with the squid.
staff was wonderful as well.
i’ll go back every chance i get.
quique crudo
i love ceviches and aguaqchiles. i was very excited to try this place and lined up at 445 to get a bar stool. it was well worth it. this is really well executed food. although i picked a ceviche and aquachile from the menu i changed to the 2 specials after hearing them. the razor clam was as good as it gets, although it’s never enough to eat, and the scallop ceviche special was unbelievably sweet and fresh. the drink selection was well sorted.
i would love to go back but this is a tiny place (maybe 20 seats. and some not so good) and the line was long when i left so i’m not sure how practical that will prove to be.

2 Likes

I am not the biggest meat eater, primarily for health reasons. I have been extremely curious to try La Piraña Lechonera. It was a nice day on Saturday and we had a clear schedule so I grabbed some riesling, glasses and headed up to the Bronx. Brought three cold Heinekens for Chef and arrived at 11:30. There were already several regulars in line. The guy in front of me got there at 10 and has been going for 20 years the lady in front of him arrived at 9:00. Well the entire experience was excellent and the type of authentic thing I really dig. Lots of characters and it was trip watching Chef run half a block or so to check on the pork in his oven that is literally on the sidewalk. On this day the pork was taking its time and was not ready until 1:30 or so and by the time we were served it was after 2:00 so all in 2 and 1/2 hour wait. It was very good and an incredible experience but I would not wait 2-4 hours for it unless maybe I went with a bunch of friends and a lot of wine. And I know you are all wondering what the best riesling pairing was…it was definitely the Feinherb!

4 Likes

Since we hit La Piraña Lechonera yesterday we decided to check off another top 100 list restaurant off for lunch as we were walking around the city and hit up MAM. Sadly for once I was not carrying riesling! Given it was our first time we played it safe with the menu and did not order intestines, snails etc. After having the food and seeing some of the dishes on other tables I would definitely be more adventurous next time. Although the rolls were our favorite dish. The flavors were very bold, pungent and just screamed for riesling! Overall a great unique experience. We intend to go back soon with wine as it is BYOB also interestingly no tipping allowed.

1 Like

Glad you finally made it! The current menu is fantastic.

Had a wonderful meal at Kru. I met the GM at a German Wine event and he invited me in. I truthfully had zero expectations other than the menu looked good and he had a very good German wine list and seemed like a very nice guy. And wow I was really blown away. The food was some of the lightest, intricate well composed Thai food I have ever had. I can’t wait to got back. I will post the photos from my IG post.

https://www.krubrooklyn.com/menu-1

2 Likes

Good to know about Supper Club as I’d heard about it but forgotten about it. I stay in the area as I have family there so I will definitely try it on my next bounce through the city, thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

My brother was in town, so we did a fave, one of his requests, and another local to us that we hadn’t visited in a bit (Chambers, Nubiani, Crown Shy).
Chambers was excellent. Sat at the bar, had sugar snap peas, snow dance chicken (now available to buy at IEataly), beef sirloin, carrots/pistachio, and jumbo asparagus with anchovy mayo. All delish. Pascaline asked my brother what he wanted to drink or liked, he said Vacqueras, so she brought an organically farmed Cairanne from Dom Alary - St Jean de Verde - that complimented food superbly.
We went to Nubiani as I saw it recommeneded here and my brother wanted Korean BBQ, as he had lived there for a year. It did not disappoint. We chose the small beef package w/rib eye as well as Shrimp and Chive pancake starter. Lots of food, and would just stick with the package next time as we were stuffed. Had an Asahi with dinner as we had a play to see after. Staff were super friendly and answered each and all of our many questions. Would definitely go back.
Lastly, we went to Crown Shy last night. Hadn’t been in a while. Food was superb (Snapper, Hibachi, Tuna toast) with the gougeres, and larger plate of Scallops and Chicken. Somm, Jasmine, was very friendly and helpful. Choose a nice champagne, Miniere But Zero, that was perfect for the myriad dishes, and food friendly, dry and well priced.
One sour note was that we ordered cocktails to start (which were excellent), then we were asked for food order, and told all dishes had to be ordered at once (ok as kitchen didn’t want orders coming in willy-nilly), and then somm was being sent over, which she did. But then all 4 starters came out super quick, and no cocktails had yet arrived and no wine served. Is it on me to tell waitress not to fire in order until after drinks have been served? I didn’t think so, and it wa annoying, but I will know next time. It’s never like that at Chambers or other places we frequent.
I asked waitress for cocktails as our food was in front of us, and she delivered them pronto, and wine did arrive quickly right after, but it didn’t seem to me to be a super hospitable style of service. I always thought (going back to waiting tables as a student) that you get drinks to folk quickly, to help them settle in and relax, and then bring bread etc, then 1st courses, thereafter.

3 Likes

Other than air conditioning, this is my biggest restaurant pet peeve. I’m okay with a meal that’s quick, but when all the food comes at once, it’s not okay. Especially if I haven’t even gotten my drink yet.

3 Likes

I will not order until the wine is on the table, and ask to have courses slowed. It really throws a wrench into the tasting menu spots.

5 Likes

Hadn’t thought of that. Good idea. Thx

In town for work again, wrapping up dinner at chambers.

Decided to go bottle list as the BTG didn’t look appealing tonight. Nothing too crazy, 16 Bertheau chambolle, unfortunately their last bottle and it was very corked. Went with something equally as good, 19 Jouan chambolle vv, young n’ sappy, good stuff.

Started with the veal sweetbreads and had it with the (1990) sake pairing which worked very well, drinks more like an aged champagne or sherry. Cold asparagus and the beef sirloin, both fantastic.

Great neighborhood restaurant feel with a solid list and vibe!

5 Likes

Have been curious to try that sake

1 Like