New Year's Resolutions

This is a good idea. Years ago I dropped off all mailing lists both winery and retail.

Thank you so much!

Thank you, David. The feeling is mutual.

1 Like

I’m there too, for retailers as well. I’d rather do business with people who care about what they do, and treat me with respect. Price is secondary, to an extent.

2 Likes

I need to focus on buying those of my favorite wines/producers where there is zero doubt that the prices will soon rise to a level where it no longer makes sense for me to continue buying. It’s quite mind-blowing how many wines there are that I used to buy very comfortably five years ago but have been forced to stop due to the price hikes. Champagne and Burgundy are obviously the worst cases as far as regions go.

Id like to start exploring areas that are holes in my cellar… Notably South America, and Australia.

Good point. Couldn’t agree more. I am more interested in a relationship with a local retailer than always and everywhere squeezing the last fricken sou out of the system. That relationship always pays me back many times more in terms of discoveries and helpful advice than anything I would save by always chasing the bottom price.

1 Like

I’ve dropped off a couple of mailing lists last year and plan to do more this year. Exceptions: Whitcraft, A Tribute to Grace, DDLC, WIlliam and Mary, and Kutch.

Drinking more Bordeaux. I have a bunch in the cellar, but have been too tentative about drinking them (i.e., waiting for it to be in the perfect drinking window). There is not perfect time on the aging curve and I’ve got to get over that concept.

Drink more Champagne. I have a bunch in the cellar, but my wife doesn’t love it.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Pretty much the same as you. Cellar is too big, off site lockers are over capacity. I will buy what we drink regularly so I don’t have a huge gap but have to pull back on some of the long term aging wines this year and maybe next to get the collection back under control. Ultimately pulling back on buying means drawing a line in the sand and not crossing that line. Dropping off lists and trying to be minimalistic when possible. I had a good drop off last year buying less. January is a tough month due to all the new releases. We will see how this goes.

my resolution for this year is to enjoy more wine with friends. specifically, having friends over for food and good wine together. wife and I bought a house in 2021, it was unworkable for having anyone over really for the first year and then now its been under Reno for 4 months. we have all this great wine and the ability to cook great food to go with but haven’t had space to share any of it! cant wait for that.

Our resolution was to cook a new recipe each week alternating turns and using the next letter in the alphabet as a theme. This week was the letter B so I made beef braciole and served it with a 2010 Bel Colle Barolo. So far so great!

I made the similar resolution of not buying more wines, so far didn’t seem to work, maybe this is the year!

1 Like

same as every year and I’m sure echoed by many: buy less, drink more.

1 Like

Berserkerday arrives in late January to crush any plans to buy fewer bottles and clear storage space.

There are advantages to being pretty strictly Old World wine. Berserker Day is a non event!

1 Like

Went to a work event today…one of the guys who I work with (and have a tremendous amount of respect for) asked if we knew what tomorrow’s holiday is…nobody knew. He said, “It’s quitting day”. He said that the second Friday in January is when a huge percentage of people quit their new year’s resolutions. I have no idea if it’s a fact, but it was kinda funny to me (and eye opening if true).

1 Like

Heresy!

Well, that means you would have over 10,000 bottles, which is a decent sized cellar! Maybe build an addition on the house? And definitely start having more friends over so you can increase consumption and maybe whittle that down a bit!

Sarah - I found some very nice wines last BD. And VERY old world!

Yep. I have not bought any wine so far this year, but that will most likely change on Berserker Day!