New year wine resolutions

I had dinner with Tom long ago and we shared some great wines. I remember 85 DRC Richebourg. Hope his 2019 is spent in similar spirit.

I buy way too much Zin too. Will be cutting down on everything. Still will get a case of Bedrock and Carlisle but that’s significantly less than normal.

Reduce overall purchases.
Drop off of most mailing lists. Or share with friends.
Completely stop purchasing wines that will not mature in my lifetime.
Decrease purchases of just about everything except vintage champagne.
Focus purchases on quality.
Encourage my son to continue developing his appreciation of fine wine.

Limit purchases to 2 cases.
Share with some new people.

Reduce purchases significantly.
Drink less frequently (particularly on weeknights).

Drink more than I buy!!

I just realized that I had a wine resolution.

I need to drink more white wine.

I buy enough, 15%, but
I don’t drink at that rate. I live white wines but I don’t drink enough. Usually a starter, just for me, before a red.

This year I focused on buying and drinking more Champagne. I succeeded.
I also focused on buying higher quality and less quantity. I also succeeded.

The problem is that I succeeded too much. I have a number of shiny nice bottles that I’m thrilled to cellar. And I drank far better in 2018 than ever before. But I need to focus again on exploration (my favorite part of the hobby) and finding and purchasing the great honest wines in the $20-60 range that are stress-free to open on a weeknight and give so much pleasure. My average price-per-bottle has increased precipitously, but some of my favorite wines are the more humble ones–e.g., a Willi Schaeffer Kabinett tonight, Faury St. Joseph last week, a Foillard Bojo the other day, etc. Like anything, this hobby is mostly about finding the right balance (on a number of different dimensions).