New wine book

I think the 82 Ducru I had at Thanksgiving was the first red Bordeaux I have consumed in over a decade…

Personally happy to forgive the misstep on Madeira or anything for that matter in the book I find I don’t happen to agree with (at least at the time of reading) because let’s face it, most of us can’t find enough on the subject of wine from a reputable author. This thread alone already shows how opinions can vary and I for one am pleased to pick the ones that provoke to either enhance my education or to disagree with. As far as Bordeaux goes, I am no hipster, but as matters of both palate and economics, I have found myself continuing to drink less of (but certainly not hating) what we own, but buying none since the '05 vintage, whereas the opposite has happened with Burgundy. Couldn’t disagree more with the implication that the price-quality ratio favors Bordeaux at present, but happy to admit that is partly a matter of palate. In fact, it is easy to see why a young drinker would look to other than Bordeaux (or Burgundy) these days. And while such other wines might not be as “good”, I doubt one has to be a hipster to look elsewhere to find interesting things to try for pleasure and in the sincere education of their palates. Disagreeing mildly with Mr. Steinberger, I don’t find that many typical wine consumers to be quite so energetic in “supporting small artisans” per se, but I do see Americans as an exceedingly open-minded lot when it comes to trying new wines across the globe. And fortunately in the U.S., we are given that opportunity.

Being one of those irreputable authors that others seem to believe permeate the universe, and having based my writing largely in the study of wine history, all I can say is: plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose…

…and not much of the postulating, hand-wringing and predictions on the web will change it either.

Has anyone dipped into the book itself yet? I’ve like reading his articles in the past.

I’m about halfway through the book. It’s a good read. Seems to be more targeted at someone starting to investigate wine as opposed to someone who’s a frequent reader of this board, so I can’t say I’ve learned much, but I’ve had fun reading it.

If you like Mike’s Slate columns, you’ll certainly like the book.

Michael