New Orleans

I absolutely love Drago’s - particularly the main one in Metairie. However, from the original post, it seemed to me what was being requested was a “classy” place. Much as I love Drago’s, I’d hardly consider it as “classy”.

Reviews:

Drago’s: Had the charbroiled oysters - good, but I’m not going to rave about a chef’s ability to cook something in butter.

Stella - A “watermelon sashimi” amuse bouche was a miss (sliced watermelon? pass) but a scallop sashimi with pickles and radishes was excellent, and I was floored by the Duck Five Ways. Didn’t get a dessert (committed infanticide on an 03 Riessec), but the plate of amusements they brought after was also excellent. Unfortunately my boss was there, which means we drink Napa Cab regardless of pairing.

Couchon - We had 3 stomachs at work, and still did not do the menu justice. We did not have a single thing on the table that was not divine - spicy pork ribs, couchon with cracklins and pickled pears, grits, lima beans and usually-a-gimmick but absolutely fantastic fried alligator. This will require several additional trips to try the fried head cheese, red fish, and ham hock, just for starters.

My great visit to Stella in 07 was also a Duck 5-ways night!

Cochon is just amazing, isn’t it?

Couchon is outstanding. I’ve had the ham hock there and it was something special. You also owe it to yourself to try the caramelized onion & grit casserole. Holy smokes is that good!