New Orleans Hotels

Diane,
Not to hijack your question to Sherri but our son graduated Tulane a couple of years ago and we’ve been regular visitors as well. Here’s a few we have found to be very reliable:

Cochon
Peche
Shaya
Compere Lapin
Dick and Jenny’s
La Petit Grocerie
Clancy’s
Atchafalaya
August
Herbsaint

Diane - there is a great thread on New Orleans restaurants in the Epicurean forum that will be helpful: Recent New Orleans Eats - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers

Depends on what you are looking for - there are lots of old stalwarts that people rave about, but I am not really a fan of that heavy, Southern cuisine.

My favorite is Saba, the newish Alon Shaya modern Israeli restaurant on Magazine Street - delicious and so unexpected.

Sherri - I’ve been to N.O only once and we stayed at the Ritz. If it’s the best place, then I don’t want to think about what the others are like. And the fact that they have the crazy 2 elevator system for whatever reason doesn’t make it appealing.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, I liked the food and setting at the Club level. And what’s really important (no sarcasm intended) is that you have had nice breakfasts there with your daughter. [cheers.gif]

I love the Roosevelt (just returned in May), but man the Sazerac bar has just lost its charm in recent years. I really don’t want to hang out and pay $20 for a Sazerac where 80% of the Patrons are treating it like a bar on bourbon st. Class it up people (should be in the get off my lawn thread I suppose)

I agree the Omni Royal is in just about the best location and a beautiful hotel, but has very very small rooms if that’s an issue.

Royal St is fun old school if you have a balcony on Royal St. have to enjoy the charms of peeling paint and creeky floors ect.

Ive yet to find the “perfect” place but I love trying new places too just for the experiences.

Windsor Court. They have frequent buy get offers through Amex Fine hotels and resorts.

George

I was perfectly fine with The Ritz. Once you figure out where everything is it is a piece of cake to navigate including getting to some top restaurants in the quarter. My two cents worth.

Ain’t it the truth

We travel to NoLa several times a year - typically on short notice for a long weekend on weeks when there isn’t a fest or huge convention. We have stayed all over the Quarter and CBD in the past and we now only stay at the Roosevelt. As noted above, the Sazerac bar and the Fountain Lounge have lost their appeal due to the tourist traffic, but the rooms are nice if you pick wisely. The hotel is a combination of two buildings and the floors lay out differently depending on what side you are on. We strongly prefer tower one, which is the elevator bank across from Teddy’s and closest to the main entrance, for two reasons - the ceilings are much higher, making the rooms feel more grand and tower one is farther away from the church bells that ring on the other side of the building. Since there are a lot of other Diamond level folks that stay at the Roosevelt over the weekends, we have learned not to rely on an upgrade to get a better room - instead, we reserve a suite - there are several options in suite selections and the price delta is typically not that much over a decent sized king bed single room.

Really enjoyed the NOPSI in the CBD…relatively new and a nice location.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Stayed at the Eliza Jane in May and loved it. Still walking distance to nice things, rooms were very affordable and nice. Lobby bar is very nice.

Maison de la Luz !!!

I love this place! Only stayed once. It is a little far away for some however. Well down in the less traveled area of the French Quarter. Beautiful setting.

That’s one of the things we love about it Don. Easy walking distance to the action, but less likely anyone is going to be puking outside your window at 3:00 in the am. “Charming and very quiet” is rare in the Quarter

Bummer, was looking at this. Why so bad?

Roosevelt Counselor, unless you’re dipping into NOLA pros.

They work that Ritz bar with the band. I always feel so popular there.

I love this hotel. Beautiful location on St. Charles and easy walk to restaurants/shops on Magazine St. It’s a nice change of pace from the FQ.

1 Like

Four Seasons is open now. Have not been.

George

I’ll repeat myself: Soniat House. You’ll thank me

1 Like

This is a road trip with Nick on way to Dallas for his new job. Same reco?

It would be for me and mine, but you decide. It’s a fabulous small place. Very classy, very old-NO. Easy walking to the nightlife but out of the way enough so you can sleep.

1 Like