New Napa Cab Projects

I know they’ve had a couple vintages out already, but what Benoit Touquette is doing with Fait Main is impressive. I have had the pleasure of tasting their 2013 Las Piedras as well as a small pour of the 2014 Sleeping Lady, and both were exceptional. The price point is in the $150-75 range, so not inexpensive. What he is doing with Kata and Realm is reason enough to try out this new (relatively speaking) endeavor.

Also, Memento Mori and Sam Kaplan is worth a try as well…

+1 Huge fan of the Fait Main wines

My understanding from reading an interview with Jan was that Gallo would honor the existing contracts at Stagecoach.

On the subject of new producers, I returned to Premiere Napa Valley this year after missing 2016. There were probably about a dozen wines in the room I knew absolutely nothing about. The time confines provided too small of a window to really tell what they are about until I have taste more extensively. Mind you, this environment has remained fairly static for the last 5 years. Historically, any new producers showing up have already developed credibility outside.

this thread needs to be renamed, ‘napa cab projects i just heard about’, instead of new.

Benoit makes some great juice. If you’re looking for something in the $50 range, try some of his Teeter Totter. Tremendous value although the 2013’s aren’t exactly a PnP in my opinion. A step above that is the Jack Quinn label. Should be able to find that for slightly less than $100.

I would echo Noah’s thoughts as well but he doesn’t need his tires more pumped up than they already are. neener

1. Boich Family Cellars, located in Mount Veeder with a Syrah and Cabernet from there. They also make an insanely good HM Cabernet and Beckstoffer George’s III. Winemaker is Jeff Ames of Tor Kenward and Rudius Wines (also recommend them, tried their 16 barrels and sooooo good. 2014 was the first vintage for most of their Cabs. Price point: $150 per Cab I believe.

2. Aonair Wines, winemaker and owner is Grant Long Jr. Killer Cabernet from mountain fruit as well as an El Dorado Grenache that is insanely good! Not brand new but small and super good. Not sure about price but all under $85.00.

3. Localism Wines, they make a Calistoga SB and Coombsville Cabernet. Owner/winemaker is Ryan Knoth of Sinegal Estate. 2014 is the first vintage I believe that Ryan has taken over every aspect of Localism. Cab is only $65.00.

4. One of my favorites is Scalon Cellars, down in Coombsville. Delicious Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon as well as a Syrah Rosé. Started back in 2010 but the 2013 vintage is the first with their new winemaker, Julien Fayard of Covert etc. Most expensive is $85.00. Delicious.

5. A little different but ARNYCA Cellars. They only make Cabernet Franc but just released a PN Rosé. Highly recommended, owned by a couple of guys out of O’Brien estate. Steve Distler is the man and loves himself some CF. Just started in 2013 with mainly Valley floor fruit. The 14 has some HM in it too. Price is max $85 I believe.

So many more small ones, these are just some delicious ones off the top of my head. Reviews are up on our site for most of these (Localism notes soon). Check it out!

1 Like

Hey Glenn, from my understanding I thought Gallo was honoring contracts that were in place before the purchase. I might be mistaken though

Wow, a lot that I haven’t heard of, particularly from Coombsville. I just purchased some 2013 and 2014 Di Costanzo, but I haven’t heard of most of these others.

Scalon looks interesting, thanks Greg! Ive enjoyed Covert in the past.

1 Like

No problem Eric, from Aonair try their Blue Oak vineyard wine that is Coombsville too!

I’ll wade into this death-trap of a discussion, LOL. It’s not the rich aspect per se. It’s the rich folks who’ve shown up and turned the place into a 3-ring circus that inculdes super high prices wines with no track record and the high priced consultant who has 20 other gigs going and who’s only interest is in getting a paycheck. And who’s focus is more on their rich-people eclectic hobbies they’ve managed to place all around their winery/vineyard and who’s tasting room staff spend more time talking about than the wines themselves. Of course that is not all of them, but a general statement.

That said, I really like Napa wines (I buy lots of them) and think there are some amazing world class wines, that are better than many overpriced and over hyped French wines, at a fraction the cost.

All of this talk makes me really glad to have a handful of great producers I find reasonable (Myriad, RM, etc).

I need to get up to taste at Arkenstone. Sam Kaplan and I knew each other long ago, when we took Golden Retriever littermates. Dogs are long gone, sadly. Sam was working at ZD Wines. Where does the time go?

1 Like

Friends are very excited about the '13s from Arkenstone. Can’t wait to try them.

1 Like

I snagged a few '13 NVD’s. Haven’t opened yet (probably won’t for 3-8 years), but tasting notes look promising. The Estate even more so.

They are fantastic.

I would throw Arrow&Branch in here. Jennifer Williams is the winemaker, and the wines are great.

+1 for Localism too.

MY GUESS, is no, since they are Jewish.

Dr. Jan is a great guy got to know from tastings. About five years ago my middle son was up in Napa with his soon to be wife. I asked Jan if he could arrange a tour of his property. He didn’t arrange a tour, instead he took my kid and his wife to be in his own all terrain vehicle and they spent four hours combing the hills like mountain goats.

Then he had them over for a tasting. Yummy. Great man. Will miss him but money speaks and he sold it for a lot.

I am not sure they have a choice.

Gallo is honoring all previous contracts as far as I’ve heard. Michel Rolland and Jean Hoefliger are still sourcing Stagecoach when I talked to their rep 3 days ago.

+1 to this. The cost of entry for new wineries in Napa is so astronomical that any new project is going to be extremely safe and extremely expensive, with some name brand consultant attached. Some of the best Napa Cabs out there go for under a hundred dollars from producers that have been around for a while and don’t need to charge 300 bucks a bottle to make a profit on their investment.