New Haven, CT and the wine scene…

Wine Thief. Very knowledgeable staff and very good selection.

Of course you know, Kermit will ship over a case to CT, free.

You should be OK. Shops are smaller but i think there is a fair amount of NYC distributors who also cover CT so good producers are around, though you may have to hit a few shops and see less individual bottlings. On champagne, I’ve bought Fourny, Bara, Lassalle locally so there is the KLWM book for you. Also has not been a problem to find Vilmart, Pierre Peters, Chiquet…

You should definitely pop into The Wise Old Dog next time you’re in the Hartford area. It’s a really exceptional store and they have some gems tucked in the back.

Moving from Stamford to Glastonbury in a week. Anyone in the area ever get together

Maybe its time to form a tasting group up here. I’m in Bolton and I know one other wine lover in Hebron. Chris Spence is in Glastonbury.

Before Covid a diverse berserker/cellartracker group was meeting occasionally in Hartford. That’s how I met Chris S., Gary Schulte & Dennis Kanagie. Sadly, I think the leader (Jonathan Sirot) of that group got himself banned on Wineberserkers.

I’m next door to you in Coventry so I would be in.

As far as wine shops, completely agree about Wise Old Dog in West Hartford (and Morris now) if you are in the area. Definitely my go to local shop even though they are not exactly right around the corner. I work out of Boston so have been buying more and more from MA lately (Gordons, Ansonia) but we are also fortunate that NY is so close so.

There’s a nice little italian restaurant in Coventry, on Main St. I wonder if they allow byo with a corkage fee?

I moved to Brookfield from NYC about 5 years ago. There is no wine scene around here, and the wine shopping experience is totally hit or miss. Lots of stores, most with 1 or 2 wines that interest me. Having said that, I’m close to NY, so have done lots of shopping there, and have had wines shipped from Ny as well, and venture over to Mass on occasion.

Wine buying is more difficult, but the hunt is half the fun. I am always interested in getting together for a wine dinner as well.

Not a fan of Roselands. They’re at the bottom of my list.

It closed, now we just 16 different pizza places

Chin wagging about pizza? I’m in. We went on a short holiday through NYC, CT, and Mass to try different pizza shops a couple years ago. We decided our money went up the spout in most places. However, we thoroughly enjoyed John’s of Bleecker near the Holland Tunnel, and Frank Pepe’s in West Hartford took the blue ribbon. The line at John’s was so long, we felt we were under the cosh to eat & vacate the table for the next customer. While we didn’t understand the hullabaloo over Pepe’s white clam pie (you Yanks have some daft tastes for your nosh), we did find the bacon & onion pie to be the bee’s knees! America does bacon as if the entire country worships it, and Pepe’s was certainly aces. We’d splash out any sum for their meat-topped pies This is one of their 2 locations with a huge brick oven (the other is New Haven apparently), which seems to make all the difference. Fabbo!

On a side note, Wo Hop in the basement on Mott St. is a hidden gem, but that’s another topic.

Oh, FCS - I forgot this is a wine forum… I’ll second the recommendation for Table & Vine in West Springfield. It’s a supermarket for wine and related foods.

Too bad, but I’m not surprised. Probably a casualty of covid.

There is the Bidwell Tavern and the Lakeview, so it isn’t all Greek/Italian. but don’t consider this to be a recommendation.

You’ll want to check out Bin 228 on Hebron Ave. Relatively decent By the Glass list and the food is adequate.

The Bin 228 in Hartford had a better glass list, but closed about a year ago.

Steve welcome (soon) to the area. I’m in West Hartford. PM me, maybe we can meet up and share a bottle at some point.

I have heard this.

This thread reminds me of my favorite wine store ever in Madison, CT. Unfortunately it died when Rick Lewis passed about a decade ago. :cry:

Ok, I’ll bite.

Why is it called Apizza? (And what’s so good about it?)

You can’t go wrong with any of them really, just stay away from the Pepe’s outside of Wooster street.

For those curious about apizza, there’s a documentary on local Connecticut pbs called Pizza, a love story that gives a little backstory on Pepe’s and Sally’s. It might be on one of the streaming services too.

You can also pretty much get one day ground shipping from most of the online NJ and NY retailers to CT.